Solder paste

I recently received this and am learning about what applications it is good for.

I put a small amount on a project board and the solder seemed to adhere better.

I am using up some old RS solder that has the paste already in it, though it may have dried out quite a bit.

What situations would be good to use the paste in?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AK

/Iff/ you are careful and lucky.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

  • "no orrosion"
  • "smooth WELDING surface"

You gets what you pays for...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I will be glad to respond to those wanting to help.

Reply to
AK

Well if it made an improvement thats good, you will be able to try it on dirty,corroded, or dry joints etc.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

My experience with corroded wires is that it is not worth the extra effort to clean them.

I have found 12 gauge automotive wire with very black strands, even when 4 inches are cut off. ?

I returned it and made sure the new wire was corrosion free.

Sure, I could use a mild Hcl solution followed by a baking soda solution, but why bother. ?

Andy

Reply to
AK

I dunno

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Think of it as "elbow grease". Clean surfaces are needed for a good solder joint, you can do that mechanincally by scrubbing with a pot scourer, or do it chemically with the flux paste.

Jasen Betts

I have found that too, at the time the automobile was twice my age.

I used "Baker's fluid" (which is zinc chloride), Horrible corrosive stuff. wear eye protection. don't use your good soldering iron.

Jasen Betts

I think that is what we call "flux."

"Solder paste", in our business, actually has solder particles in it. It is not used for hand soldering.

Get rid of that old Rat Shack stuff and buy some good Kester RMA 63/37 solder.

lunatic fringe electronics