Simple thermostatic switch?

Just a simple bi-metallic would do. Need to keep a box full of electronics warm during winter. Threshold spec can be anywhere from 30 deg - 70 deg.

Open when warm, closed when cold, of course. Current capability not important; can use relay to handle load.

All the google results I find are all HVSC related, none helpful.

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:52:35 -0700, Jamie wrote (in article ):

Thanks for the reference, Jamie.

But that's a bit of overkill (and over-priced) for my needs.,

No adjustment needed, low voltage is fine.

I've seen switches about the size of a few dimes' thickness that bolt to audio amplifier heat sink. These, of course, would be too high-temp for my application, but where can I find similar switches?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

}Just a simple bi-metallic would do. Need to keep a box full of electronics }warm during winter. Threshold spec can be anywhere from 30 deg - 70 deg. } }Open when warm, closed when cold, of course. Current capability not }important; can use relay to handle load.

Do you mean like a simple furnace thermostat available from any home improvement store?

Stan.

Reply to
Stan

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:58:44 -0700, Stan wrote (in article ):

No, Just a nickel-sized snap switch. like these:

Thanks, John F !!

--
http://www.ti.com/snc/about/klixon.htm
Reply to

--
Try this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=low-cost+bimetallic+thermostat+switch
Reply to
John Fields

DaveC wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Just about any thermostat from a furnace, A/C, oven, etc., can be recalibrated to be wihtin the range you want.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored. To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I don't know how common they are, but here in Austin, Texas we have a couple of Habitat for Humanity stores that sell surplus/used/donated stuff they don't need for their own construction projects. That would probably be a great source for something like the OP is looking for.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

A bimetallic strip is usually welded, but I've heard that rivets, screws, and even some kinds of adhesive work. You might just build one from two different metal sheets.

One supplier I googled:

Also, there was this interesting page area:

Coiled bimetallic strips are compact and sensitive and used in some furnace controls. You could consider dismantling one of those. Call a furnace repair outfit for a "broken" one? I wonder about the automotive thermal controls used to block or pass radiator water -- those should be dirt cheap and widely available and you may be able to mechanically arrange to use the innards.

I also read that adding a pressed dimple into the strip produces snap action with hysteresis. Hadn't thought of that, but it sounds intriguing to play with. The furnace controls I've looked at use a mercury switch that tips one way or the other on the coiled bimetallic and, because of the weight shift, they have that hysteresis.

Best of luck, Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

electronics

deg.

I really have no respect for someone who says that. I've googled extensively for some sought-after advice, and someone has then given me a google URL that I had missed altogether. And that made me go "ah-HAH!" and from this experience I was blessed with much wisdom. So my advice is if you want to keep on the good side of the news group gurus, don't belittle them for any advice you might receive, no matter how trivial. They mean to be helpful.

Buy a thermostat from Home Depot?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Klixon

-

Jim Adney

Jacques

Reply to
Jacques Carrier

Why not go to the hardware store, and buy a simple thermostat? Connect it through a heavy duty relay, and run whatever heating system you want.

--

Jerry G. ======

Open when warm, closed when cold, of course. Current capability not important; can use relay to handle load.

All the google results I find are all HVSC related, none helpful.

Thanks,

-- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

DaveC snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group

Reply to
Jerry G.

Take a look at the thermostats used on hot water tanks.

Reply to
CWatters

Digikey sells just what you want. They are made by Cantherm. Any temperature you want in 5 degree steps.

Reply to
Jim Babcock