Simple IC

This should be simple question. Here is the simple project.

1 tact switch 1 motor 1.5V 100mA 1 1.5V battery

I need an IC simply to control on/off. I do need one that can operate as low as .9-1V since the motor draws a lot of power. You can't change components.

I don't need you to find me the IC necessarily, but tell me what IC (component) I should be searching for. I'm no engineer so I am just looking for the keywords to do a search at the least.

Reply to
rmartin929

I should add one more note. The battery must be a small button battery LR43 that is why power is concern we need to squeeze as much life out of it as possible.

Reply to
rmartin929

1N4001 +------|
Reply to
ehsjr

does the circuit latch? ie press for on, press again for off?

Reply to
feebo

text -

As I said I'm no engineer, but I think the answer to your question is "yes" the circuit latches. Press the tact switch once, motor is on and remains on, press again motor is off. As I'm sure you know the tact does not latch it is momentary. The other simple option was to use a latching switch BUT space/size is a major constraint and I've been unable to find an ultra small latching switch. We also need to keep the switch actuation force at a low level 160Gf or less.

The other respondent talked about using resistance to control motor. I think we want to drive the motor as much as possible without limiting it. We know we will only get 15-30 minutes of operation, but that is sufficent. Everything about this application must be small, small, and smaller AND simple.

You know the battery is an LR43 here is the motor if that is of any help

rmartin929

Hmm... Latching circuit? How is *that* suppose to work? As far as I can see the motor will be powered when the switch is pushed and will stop when the switch is released. So unless you use a latching switch...

Besides, the use of an LR43 battery is questionable. This type of batteries is made to provide low current during a long time. Some hundreds of microamperes (uA) during some hundreds of hours. You want over 100mA during less then an hour. This is way out of the manufacturers specifications. So if you want to use this type battery you will have to do your own research to find out the possibilities. It may work but you may as well destroy the battery. To make things worse, the inside of an LR43 varies depending on chemistry and manufacturer.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@c35g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Regarding latching switch - we can not find one small enough for our app. Tact switch in conjuction with IC of some sort (this is the part I don't know) should work. IC component detects power input when tact switch initiated and then closes circuit for motor operation. When it receives another power signal from tact it opens circuit ... motor off. This seems like a very common and basic function.

We've looked at many batteries and tested many as far as space/size and high drain capability the alkaline is the best I know of. I would love for someone to prove me wrong and show me a smaller better battery. Yes it will only operate continuously for < 1 hr. but that is OK.

Reply to
rmartin929

A very simple question and please give me yes or no answers before we go any further.

Have you connected the motor to the battery and let it run continuously? And did it run for an hour or so?

Is the intention to run continuously once the tact switch is depressed or is it going to be on-off. If on-off, what is the best estimate of duty cycle (time on / time off).

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

"RST Engineering \(jw\)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

He's done more than answer that, as he already says.

If he can answer that with yes/no, he's got a whole new kind of advanced logic and shoulf patent it immediately for a new kind of computer.

Sometimes yes/no is not rigor, but a sign of blinkers the likes of which no horse would be seen dead wearing.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan