Noise figure measurement by your bootstraps

Jerry Johnson, pillar and chief guru of the Amateur Microwaves mailing list, posted a link to this paper, which is a method for calibrating noise figure without either a calibrated noise source or a calibrated attenuator. I'm not sure how well it does in the presence of various amounts of mismatch, but it's worth analyzing more carefully than I have time for at present.

So for your radio frequency delectation,

Cute trick. I'll try it out one of these times.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Too much mental midgeting over dumb little conversion and definition equations, and too little reasoning. How anyone can read this stuff is beyond me.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If you ever needed to make good noise figure measurements, you might be more motivated.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I only read it quickly... So if I understand, with two known noise sources (or sources with a known ratio) you measure the "real" noise and then infer the amplifier (DUT) noise. Is that correct? That means subtracting two bigger numbers to get the difference?

I also might worry about the step attenuator changing the bandwidth of the known source... but I guess if it's going into a spectrum analyzer you'd see that.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold