Resistor power rating

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's some sort of a chart or reference to find out what kinda package is needed for what kind of power rating for SMT ceramic resistors. I have a design where I need a 0ohm resistor that passes up to 2A @5VDC. Would a 1206 size be sufficient?

Thanks.

Reply to
galapogos

You mention power rating and current. If a resistor is really zero ohms, it doesn't dissipate power, regardless of the current. Of course, no room temperature superconductors are yet available, so any real resistor will have some resistance, even if it is sold as a zero ohm device. You really have to go to the data sheet and see what its current rating is, but I am pretty confident that a 1206 zero ohm jumper would be fine carrying 2 amperes.

Reply to
John Popelish

Most zero-Ohm resistors I have seen are sub-100 milliOhm, nominally between 10 and 50 milliOhm. Even in absolute worst-case if one of them happened to come up 100 mOhm, I^2*R loss would only be 0.4 W and the 1206 package can take that for a short while.

A much more likely worst-case scenario would be 50 mOhm, which would disspilate less than 0.2W, for which the 1206 is generally rated.

Check the manufacturer's data sheet for their zero-Ohm parts. That will usually tell you what the nominal and max. "zero Ohm" resistance really is.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

Thanks!

Reply to
galapogos

What weight and width of copper traces are you using to carry this 2 ampere current?

Reply to
John Popelish

Actually it's not really 2A. 2A is the upper limit. I'm probably expecting something to the order of 1A or less typical.

Reply to
galapogos