remove controled devices

I'll be needed to create a simple remote control system soon and I'm curious as to my options(and I have no experience with rf). I'm looking at rf pics as they seem very simple but one thing I'm worried about is the range which is, I guess, around 20-30 feet maybe(only estimation as its 10dBm and I know from my remote project earlier that 12dBm was bout 40-40 feet).

I'd like to have a little more distance than this if possible. Are there any other very simple devices I should know about or maybe some other simple method? I just want to essentially send an on and off pulse(that of course won't cause any problems with screwed up ther rf devices). Simple in this case is probably the best. What I want is probably what is comparable to what is in a car remote but I have not had the ability to open one of these thigns up and take a look.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Get an R/C car/truck/etc toy. Replace the motor with a relay - choose your relay coil voltage based on what the toy delivers to the motor.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

That might work. I'll have to check and see what I can do with it but its definitely an option. Although I'd rather do it from scratch myself for the learning experience(but don't want to get to complex for first attempt)). Using something like that kinda takes all the fun out of it.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Hi, Jon. Ed's idea is a good one -- it's probably the least expensive way to get it done.

If you want a challenge or need to put it together yourself, you might want to take a look at a kit project. The Velleman K8058 8-channel remote control is a good choice for the transmitter, with one or more K8070 one channel relay output receivers. Both of these are in kit form, and will exceed your requested range by quite a bit -- they claim over 100 feet open field. The receiver gives you one shot, toggle/latch, or timed output.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Homer J Simpson