Questions on electron transport in metals

Which statement, the first or the second?

The first is easy to prove with modern test equipment.

The second might be a bit more complicated to prove, as it involves the whole basis for physics in general.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

Mike, the speed of the carrier in a wire is the electron drift velocity, which is ridiculously slow in "normal" cases. The speed of information is close to the speed of light. That's all I was trying to convey.

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta

electrons

the

That is incorrect in detail. the quantity "c" is the phase velocity. The speed of information transfer is the group velocity.

In free space, TEM waves are propagated without dispersion. In that case both those velocities are c.

In a wave guide supporting a wave with a longitudinal component of either E or H, those two velocities differ from one another and neither of them is equal to c, even when the guide is evacuated.

Franz

Reply to
Franz Heymann

in

than

just

me.

There is a proof, so you are on safe ground.

Franz

Reply to
Franz Heymann

of

That is irrelevant. It just means that you need to hone your intuition. {:-))

I would assure you in all sincerity that it is quite correct.

high?

Yes. That is so.

Franz

Reply to