QUESTION: What is a "locally active resistor"?

Hi all

I came across the article on "Chua's circuit" in Wikipedia (at ). This circuit "exhibits classic chaos theory behavior" even though it is composed only of "standard components" (resistors, capacitors, inductors).

This article also lists the criteria that a circuit must meet in order to display chaotic behaviour. One of the criteria (#2) is: One or more locally active resistors

The question I wanted to ask is, what is a "locally active resistor"?

Aren't all resistors in a circuit locally active? Or can there be "remotely active" resistors, and in what kind of situation would that be?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
S Claus

Read this:

Varactor

--
A constant current source.

That is, a device with a resistance which varies, as the voltage across
it changes, in order to keep the current though it constant.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Read this:

The simulation applet was interesting. The circuit seemed fairly stable for higher values of R, and the intensity of oscillation diminished. But when the value was lowered the pattern expanded and eventually hit the supply rails. Order was eventually restored by raising the value. It seemed like a resonance phenomenon.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen