Question about picMicro programming

I have the pickit 1 programmer. I want to go through the tutorial examples, starting with Debounce. Tha samples come in an asm and C versions. My question, what do I need to compile the C files?

thanks tim.

Reply to
tim

Maybe this:

I haven't tested it.

Lothar

Reply to
lothar.behrens

The Pic Kit 1 used to come with a time limited copy of the Hitech c compiler. You could run it for a month. It should be on the CD you got with the thing. You need to set up the projects properly; as I recall, the tutorial sucks pretty badly in that regard. It takes a while to figure out how to set it up.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Do you want to learn C or MCU's ?

C is the worst HLL to program MCU's . It is a special version that creates tiny code , nothing like the big versions

There is nothing easier than FORTH and it has ALWAYS generated tiny code .

There are many ppl trying to say FORTH is slow or bad or ....

FORTH is the fastest to write code , the fastest run time code .

Reply to
Paul Jones

Well, I've written several FORTH implementations, and done large systems in FORTH. It's a butt-ugly language. Unless you are quite careful, it's nearly impossible to decipher a few minutes after you've written it. As a consequence, it's often called a write-only language.

Some of the nice things about FORTH are that multithreading is trivial, since it often has a built-in scheduler; the interpretive nature makes it great for hardware hacks, probing registers, and the like; it can be made very fast and small because of the way the 'interpreter' (ie, NEXT) works.

I've never seen a good debugger for FORTH, though. They may exist, but the ones I've seen are always clumsy and annoying to use.

There is at least one FORTH for the PIC; there may be more. There is also a free C compiler (the hitech C compiler) that you can download. Using either that or just MPASM will be far easier and more intuitive than using FORTH, unless you have a masochistic/obsessive streak.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

It would seem to me that if one is trying to write code for a PIC that it would be a fairly simple application that wouldn't be using an operating systems or multithreaded applications.

A lot of people like to program the PIC in assembly which would certainly get you into the nuts and bolts of the processor. If you wish to use a higher level language, C would probably be the best bet, IMHO.

Reply to
Matt Flyer

Hi,

Try this: