Question about hardware modification

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in or not but I couldn't find anywhere more appropriate so I hope it's welcomed here.

I have a cheap Kodak EasyShare camera that can record video. I also have a wireless network and a laptop. I want to modify my camera so that instead of saving video to the SD card, it will stream it over the network. I'm sure it's not a terribly horrible mod to do but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some starter points?

Thanks in Advance, Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Papillion II

Does the camera have a USB port? Most digital cameras have the miniature version, usually under a cover. Did you get a cable with the camera? If so, you don't need any hardware mods at all. The operating system can treat any USB device as a pseudo-disk, so you should be able to share it.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

By far the easiest method would be to just buy an Eye-Fi card:

-

- although I'm not sure whether or not it would handle video (it's more designed for photos...).

You're probably better off just getting a wireless webcam in the first place. Modifying your camera, unless your have lots of experience hacking generally completely undocumented hardware and software, is going to be very difficult. People do hack some cameras when it's clear they're running well-known OSes such as Linux or vxWorks, but in your case you're be adding significant hardware as well unless your know for a fact that the camera's hardware supports SDIO and you have a WiFI SDIO card around.

What I'm really saying here is that -- unless you can find a site where your particular camera has already been thoroughly hacked -- this is really a quite advanced project and you're likely to spend many, many months working on it.

Reply to
Joel Koltner