Problem with Childs 12v 4x4 car - from an Electronics dummy!

I can test a circuit and check if there is powere on switches and cables but that tis the total knowledge of electronics I have :o(

I was given a childs 12v rideon 4x4 which wasn't working. If I switch it on and press the accelerator pedal (swtch) nothing happens. I have replaced the battery and can follow the current right through to the motors but nothing happens. I have wired the motors directly from the battery and they work fine. With such a basic knoweldge of electronics I don't understand what is wrong? The only thing that is slightly confusing is a small Joemex 77 series "thingy" which I believe acts as a thermal cutout (assuming works for a period of time as there is no button to reset it) Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

Does it look like this?>

Series

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

t&add2=3D77Series

Yes, except it doesn't have the threaded bit at the top, mine is black and completely flat on the top.

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

Yes -- something's broke. Isn't that helpful?

You say you can follow the current right through to the motors -- what do you mean? When the accelerator pedal is depressed (I assume it's just a switch), there should be 12V across the battery terminals, and nearly 12V across the motor terminals. This means that the circuit path from the battery '+' terminal to the motor '+' terminal should have very little voltage drop, as should the path from '-' to '-'.

So, one way to chase this down is to hold down the accelerator, and trace down the point where you have a 12V drop in the circuit, instead of in the motor. When you find it, you've identified the bad spot.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

(...)

this?>

What Tim says.

Place your negative meter lead on the negative battery terminal. With the 'accelerator' depressed, place your positive voltmeter lead on one terminal of the Joemex breaker and note the reading. Then place your positive voltmeter lead on the other terminal of the Joemex breaker and note that reading. Both readings should be about the same, 12 V or more.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Do you have some way to check the switches (DMM perhaps). Several years ago I pulled a few of these from the trash and found that the rocker switches were shot. I replaced 'em with some toggle switches, and away the boy went.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

--
Lift the wheels which are providing traction, switch it on, and place
a jumper across the accelerator terminals.

If the wheels spin you have a bad switch.
Reply to
John Fields

(...)

What did you find out, Dazz?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Your public wants to know.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I haven't had a chance! I will post back when I have! Probably be the weekend! Thank you all for your time and helpfulness!

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

(...)

Winston > What Tim says.

Winston > Place your negative meter lead on the negative battery terminal. Winston > With the 'accelerator' depressed, place your positive voltmeter Winston > lead on one terminal of the Joemex breaker and note the reading. Winston > Then place your positive voltmeter lead on the other terminal Winston > of the Joemex breaker and note that reading. Both readings Winston > should be about the same, 12 V or more.

Also try that same technique with your 'accelerator' switch.

You'll narrow it down to the problem, I am sure. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Technically, you don't "follow the current" unless you have a current probe. But your voltmeter should be enough. If, when you wire the motors directly from the battery, they work fine, then it's either the "accelerator" switch or that thermal fuse thingy.

Have Run! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Now I'm even more confused than when I started!

I have managed to "follow the current" right up to the motors without them working! I'll try and explain the wiring. AS well as the accelarator switch there are also 2 switches which form the "gears" forward and reverse. If they are both swu=3Ditched one way the wheels are druiven forward, if they are both switched the other weay the wheels are driven in reverse. One of the switches contains the thermal cutout. I'm going to bypass these and see if it works. Will report back shortly!

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

tch

ave

the

is

Still not working, think I need to buy some new switches and rewire the whole thing!

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

(...)

Without a schematic it is difficult to offer much of value. It sounds like the battery is flat and needs a recharge.

Switching direct current is a much larger problem than switching alternating current because once an arc starts in an improperly specified switch, it can continue until the switch breaks.

Advise you locate a voltmeter (DMM) and take some readings as we outlined earlier.

Good luck!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

[...]

Welcome to USENET.

This ride-on sounds like the Mattel PowerWheels jeep sitting in my basement waiting for me to get back to it: two 6V batteries, a Forward/Reverse switch, a High/Low speed switch, and an "Accelerator" pedal.

The drive motors )and gearboxes) are mounted on/around the rear axle. Forward/Reverse is a DPDT switch that reverses the power going to the rear wheels. Low/High connectd the batteries in series (giving 12V) or parallel (sending 6V to the motors: slower speed, but longer operating time). The Accelerator is a simple on/off foot switch.

I was going to try to type in an ASCII schematic for you, but then I ran across this one in a forum post:

Read This First (FAQ's): The Definitive "Wiring diagram" thread

I don't recall your mentioning the specific manufacturer or model for your ride-on, but this site seems to cover a number of different types (FAQs on R/C and on those "push nuts" that are so annoying):

Modified Power Wheels.com Power Wheels & Peg Perego upgrades, Modifications, how to fix

You might also find useful information from these sites:

Power Wheels Troubleshooting Guide

Power Wheels Modification CD for Windows

Hope something in there helps.

Frank McKenney

--
  "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this
   sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

witch

have

m the

t is

me

ors

ll

Yeah the one I had.. (A power-wheel thing from Fisher-Price) also had a third switch that would do a low and high speed... Connected the two

6V batteries in series or parallel across the motor. And I think the reverse always ran in 'low' speed. So it took me a bit with pencil and paper to trace the circuits. The switches weren't completely shot so it would run sometimes. I was able to get it running for a while by just swapping switches. But eventually the 'long term' solution was to replace them. I mounted big toggle switches (from my junk bin) on the 'dash board'.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Finally got it working by replacing 2 switches and removing the accelerator switch! Unfortunately this makes it unsafe for my 3 year old as he waits till he has crashed before switching off :o) I cannot find a UK supplier of the accelerator switch, anyone recommend somewhere? I have tried Maplins already.

Reply to
BobbyDazzler

Is it a rocker switch? Digikey has a nice search feature. You can find a switch there and then see if Farnell carries the same brand.

itch

George H.

Reply to
George Herold