12V Car Battery Protector

Hi,

I guess this device likely uses a 1mOhm Rds(on) nfet with a gate driver since it can operate as a low side or high side switch, controlled by a microcontroller.

It has a 10ms rated current of 2400A. It would be cool if the under voltage cutoff could be adjustable, ie this device could be useful to use for a supercapacitor hybrid battery potentially and not just lead acid batteries.

It seems a bit risky putting a switch in series with the battery, if that device failed in the open state while driving that could disconnect the battery and cause problems with the car's electronics etc.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Similar looking device with a comment mentioning it failing open while driving:

Jamie M

The equivalent heating of 240A for 1 second, seems kind of wimpy...

Such a device needs to switch about 100 times max and does not need to be fast. maybe it is a latching relay.

Switching the starter cable seems a wasted effort. the power drain is on the thinner wires.

More likely to damage cheap accessiories, any embedded electronics should survive. MOSFETs tend to fail closed - unless they explode.

Jasen Betts