Problem with Electronics Workbench 5

Hi, all. I picked up a copy of Electronics Workbench 5 (got it cheap), it's an old version. When I try to run it, I get a message: "Unable to write to EWB program directory. Please change the permissions of this directory."

Well, the directory, and it's contents, are not read-only (I checked to make sure), nor hidden, and the files are in a directory "c:\EWB", so there are no issues with long directory names or spaces in the directory name. I searched the Web for this error message, and came up with two old messages from other people who had the same problem -- but never got replies. (Well, one got a reply, which said, "Make sure the directory is not Read-only.")

I'm running this on Windows 2000, under the Admin account. When I tried to run it on a Win 98 machine, I got a more severe error (some kind of memory error, generated by a Visual C++ module).

Anyone know what this is about, and how I can get this thing working!?

Thanks. Steve O.

"Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.

Steven O.

Select the directory and check permissions. If it's read only change them to read write. I have only encountered this problem when someone have me what was found to be a pirate copy of a disk. The read only files and directories were copied as they appear on the disk. Not installed. (I discarded the bad copy.)

Reply to
Clarence

I son't remember having this problme with V5 but have since upgraded to Multisim. I recommend you do the same. Its a mudh better program.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to

Be absolutely sure the directory name is exactly where you installed the program , some bad programs won't work if they aren't in a default C:/ rather than C:/Program Files/

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.