? on small battery operated fluorescents

--
Phil, this might help you:

http://samvak.tripod.com/msla.html

JF
Reply to
John Fields

"John Fields is INSANE "

** Do not deal with is INSANE person !!!

Fields is one congenitally autistic, malignant pile of Septic Shit.

Hope he dies a vile death - ASAP.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Fields is INSANE "

** Do not deal with is INSANE person !!!

Fields is one congenitally autistic, malignant pile of Septic Shit.

Hope he dies a vile death - ASAP.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Replies interspersed...

True, even trying to recreate a $2 plastic 2D flashlight takes a lot of time relative to what you end up with. The more partially if not wholly finished parts you dig up, the less time and expertise it will require. You might want to look at the various bits and pieces at one of the sites I mentioned previously, see if they give you any ideas.

Wow. Thank you for this link. Don't remember it from earlier, but am very glad you persisted. :) Yes, I am basically trying to reinvent the wheel. sigh. Do appreciate your patience.

Depends on what "in some fashion" means, a bulb optimal for 18V won't be nearly as bright at 12V, and while I'm sure somebody makes 18V bulbs they're quite a bit rarer than 12V, limiting your choices and/or raising cost, plus a good result over this operational voltage range would require a regulated supply. I would think about using an LED for this too, with optics or a reflector, or both, for the tighter beam you're probably seeking.

Yes, I realize I am asking a lot, but I found an LED item at that website the sounds most promising. Am waiting for Monday, when I can call and talk with someone about its details...

Previously it was 4 x AA, presumably something like the following might've worked (though it's spotlight probably uses a lower powered, less bright LED than the LEDs I was previously writing about),

but now 18V? Was this an RC toy or drill battery? It seems a big jump in voltage compared to the small handheld flashlights I thought we were talking about. If you want 18V the solution is easier, get a ready-made flashlight that comes as close as possible to your needs from a hardware store, something made for cordless drills. When they have a fluorescent tube in them they tend not to have the incandescent spotlight too, or vice-versa, but if you're wanting an 18V light I doubt the end use will be the same as what I was envisioning previously.

Two different things. Was originally looking to buy a back-up for the dual-function flashlight my wife has been using for so long, and will probably still do that, but am now trying to build something more heavy-duty. The 18V battery pack is actually two 9V (6-cell AA) packs I joined into one for my first prototype. Still wanting to use it due to it's compact but massive power capacity, thinking it will last a long time if and when I need it.

I could be wrong, but am starting to think this flashlight will end up taking at least a dozen hours and maybe $75 or more. Seems like a great length to go to, to reinvent the wheel when there are so many flashlights out in the market.

Yeah... Trying to consider all of this, and come to a decision. Need to talk to a couple people come Monday, when tech support is available and I can ask for specifics on a couple different items.

I do appreciate your patience. Sorry to be such a frustration. And thanks again for that *great* link. :)

Take it easy...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

As the new doctor was being shown around the asylum by the director, when they entered the USENET wing and went into s.e.b hall there was a man hunched over in a corner muttering over and over again:

"John Fields is INSANE

** Do not deal with is INSANE person !!! Fields is one congenitally autistic, malignant pile of Septic Shit. Hope he dies a vile death - ASAP."

"My word!, said the new doctor, who is that and what happened to him?"

"That's Phil Allison," said the director, and John Fields drove him over the edge."

"Curious..." said the doctor.

As they walked around and the director identified the various inmates they came across one with a wide grin on his face who occasionally broke into raucous laughter.

"Interesting," said the doctor,"who's that?"

"John Fields", replied the director.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

John, this is pretty darn close to what you are looking for. I know exactly which flashlight you have, but don't know if they make them any more. But, I found this. Has a regular flashlight (LED) and also a fluorescent bulb. Runs on 4 AAA batteries.

or

Hope this helps a little.

Reply to
Elephant

Hey Elephant!

I was the one originally looking for a replacement for my wife's favorite flashlight, and the first one you listed looks perfect for the job. Will give us a spare. Have seen that same flashlight other places, but none of them were right down the street. Thank you!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In my best Johnny Carson impersonation " I did not know that!" Mike

Reply to
amdx