NiMH battery charger; on a timer for "always charged" batteries?

I can't seem to find an NiMH charger that will keep a bunch (preferrably at least 8, if not 16) of NiMH cells topped off and ready to use. I have a couple of 4-cell Radio Shack chargers that seem to work OK, but unless I use the batteries with a few days of charging them, I always get them with incomplete charges.

This stymies my attempts to stop using disposable cells, and has completely eliminated my wife's cooperation with that desire.

How much abuse would NiMH batteries get if I hooked a few chargers (to reach my preferred "always charged" cell count) up to a household timer and had the timer cycle "ON" for the charging period and then "OFF" again? By power cycling the charger, I would get it to start charging the batteries, preventing the problem of discharched batteries sitting in the charger.

My concern is that without a charger capable of "top-off" charging, I'd kill the cells real quickly by putting them through too many unnecessary cycles.

If anyone is aware of a trickle charger/maintenance charger, especially for AA batteries, I'd love to hear about it.

Reply to
Poor Impulse Control

kill

cycles.

It's not usually cycling that kills them it's overcharge at high currents or over/reverse discharge.

Reply to
CWatters

| How much abuse would NiMH batteries get if I hooked a few chargers (to reach | my preferred "always charged" cell count) up to a household timer and had | the timer cycle "ON" for the charging period and then "OFF" again? By power | cycling the charger, I would get it to start charging the batteries, | preventing the problem of discharched batteries sitting in the charger.

R/C guys do this all the time.

You've got a 50 mA wall-wart charter, and 500 mA NiCd cells. You just flew your plane, and don't know when you'll fly it again. So you put the light timer to charge for the next 16 hours, then turn off. Then every day after that, it charges for one hour then turns off.

At low charge rates, NiMH batteries work just like NiCd cells, except that the self discharge rate is about 3x as much (as you seem to have noticed.) So the same procedure would work, though one hour at C/10 might not be quite enough each day to counteract the self-discharge rate. And too much charging will wear out the cells.

As for which charger to use, whatever wall-wart that gives the desired C/10 current at the appropriate voltage will work. The R/C chargers seem to create a voltage that's a good deal higher, and then just use a resistor to limit the current that actually flows, creating an approximation of a constant current source.

And ultimately you should consider what's being done with these NiMH cells, and wonder if NiMH even makes sense. NiCd cells will have about 1/2 the capacity, but will last 2-3 times as long between charges if not used. You can get AA NiCds at Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot in the solar powered light section. They're cheap too -- $5-$6 for 4.

For an emergency flashlight or something else that you almost never use, it's hard to beat alkalines -- with rechargables, the self discharge rate will almost guarantee that you'll never have battery power when you need it. Same goes for things that use very little power like smoke alarms and remote controls.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com
Doug McLaren