Ohms law power problem

In article , Jon Kirwan

Sheesh... enough already.

The flame of interest can be extinguished by a flood of verbiage. --- Joe, MMX (get the water vs, fire imagery, huh? huh? :))

Or, as Einstein supposedly said,

or as Einstein also supposedly said,

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

--- Joe

PS: Beware of confusing (A-B)^2 with A^2 - B^2 and give hints to a neophye instead of a tidal wave of ... .

Reply to
Joe

It sure can be. I suppose it's now up to Bill to say.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

After reading all the responses I got dizzy and I have been teaching this for 40 years. You made a math error. You seem capable of catching it. Check your work.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Did that student finally learn it?

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Good one:-)

Reply to
Tom Biasi

=3D

I checked the work, but it doesn't add up.

a small change of 8.33mA and 100mV is only 833 microwatts when it should be 200 milliwatts.

I think an analogy might be a freeway traffic jam where you add one more car and everybody stops?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

--
Algebraically, you can't just use the change in quantity, you have to
use the whole new quantity.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I checked the work, but it doesn't add up.

a small change of 8.33mA and 100mV is only 833 microwatts when it should be 200 milliwatts.

I think an analogy might be a freeway traffic jam where you add one more car and everybody stops?

-Bill

You can't just take pieces of what you want. The current produced was

1.00833 Amps not .00833 Amps. The 8.33mA was in addition to the one Amp. Concept of math error. Keep pluggin' its fun.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Okay, let's do this as I would in a decent algebra class:

Power is current x voltage.

Let's make this as a formula P = I*V

Better, from an algebraic understanding, is to write this in FUNCTION NOTATION (dammit!).

P(I, V) = I*V

Where you are confused is thinking that this FUNCTION has the property

P(I+i, V+v) = P(I,V) + P(i,v)

P(I+i, V+v) = (I+i)*(V+v)

Now, compare with :

Gives P(I+i, V+v) = (I+i)*(V+v) = (remember "FOIL") IV + Iv + iV + iv

Gives P(I+i, V+v) = (BOGUS) P(I,V) + P(i,v) = IV + iv which is WRONG!

gives two additional terms: Iv and iV

** NOTE: I never heard of "FOIL" as an acronym until a younger relative told me about it. Some of my students seem to cling to a rule rather than an understanding of what is happening (the distributive law). I sometimes mocked mindless rules by referring to the "FOIL" situation as "Leo Rio". Which actually stood for "LIORIO" (my own "Left Inner Outer Right Inner Outer" Roole). :)

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

In other words, what you are saying is that the increase in power cannot be determined by multiplying the increase in current by the increase in voltage. True.

And, even if you don't know that, when you write the equation using functional notation (correctly) the correct answer comes out.

Nice.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

cough..cough...cough....

mike

Reply to
m II

--

JF
Reply to
John Fields

?

mike

Reply to
m II

JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
Or maybe:

>>> ---                                              |
>>> news:n1g056hqktafku6r4qdplcqus6s0jhgldr@4ax.com -+
>>
>>> JF
>>

>>    ?
>>mike
>
>JF

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
m II

Reply to
ehsjr

Very true.

mike

Reply to
m II

Reply to
John Fields

I screw up like that a lot. My Dad used to tell me that mistakes are harder to spot when your nose is too close to the work. Taking a step back gives a wider view.

We're all striving to be better. I note with some interest that one or two denizens of this fine group have already attained perfection. A weird thing though..perfection seems to bring with it uncontrolled profanity.

I think I'll stay imperfect.

mike

Reply to
m II