Ohms Law

--
Which, although being quite vivid, visually, doesn't answer the
question.
Reply to
John Fields

No thanks, I'm full of shit enough as it is!^)
Reply to
John Fields

--
If you meant a "bucket of mole[s]", then surely 6.02E23 buckets  is
greater than even the largest bucket of moles...

A Whole Bunch (as opposed to a Partial Bunch) is more than you thought you'd need.

A Shitload is more than you'll ever need.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

"Winfield Hill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

Very witty! :->

If Helen had a face that launched a thousand ships, it can't have looked good afterward...

Reply to
Kryten

Not to mention the face that lunched a thousand chips. A close friend of the Abdominal Snowman I believe.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

No, the expression arose from the dam, an old Indian coin of very low value.

Rather like saying "I don't care tuppence about ...".

'Damn' is a verb. It can't be used as a noun as well, like 'fart' or 'shit' for example.

The fact that people often write 'damn' instead doesn't make it correct.

Yes I _do_ know the expression thank you very much.

My sentence is still valid, I had one myself this morning.

The point is that if I chopped one in half, and gave it to you, you would not call it a semiturd.

Are you American by any chance? :-)

Reply to
Kryten

Mind the wrap:

Of course you can verb nouns, and noun verbs, English is as flexible as a very flexible thing.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Tch! All that fighting over a woman. Its a tragedy.

If it happened in Britain, it would just be a scuffle captured on kebab-shop CCTV with some woman screaming "Leave it Troy, she's not worth it!".

Reply to
Kryten

As in "her face looks like someone's been using it to launch ships".

d Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

No you can't, unless a word specifically does have two forms.

One can say "your cat is s*****ng on my lawn".

One can't say "your cat is turding on my lawn".

My spellchecker confirms this.

Then why do we pay people to teach kids English?

Reply to
Kryten

I know it implies low value. But it is dodgy at best.

Making up new words just because you like it is total skungpoomery.

Just because something is accepted, does _not_ make it correct.

In the past, people have accepted all sorts of stuff that was wrong. Flat Earth, geocentric universe, etc.

Thanks for the ^) I'll take the jest as intended.

What would _you_ call it? A brain?^)

Actually it would still be a turd, though tapered at one end only.

Ah, that explains a lot. My condolences..

:-)

Reply to
Kryten

That, now as ever, is the ONLY valid test of correctness.

d Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

... only one problem with this whole explanation. There isn't any such thing as Ohmd Law - its all in the mind.

For

voltage

power

we

the

Remember,

much

Volts

quickly.

Reply to
Dingus

The former is like the word 'many', applies to stuff that comes in discrete units, e.g. "I have a whole bunch of bananas"

The latter is like the word 'much' it applies more to non-discrete (fluid?) amounts. e.g. "I have a shit-load of diarreah in my toilet"

Reply to
Kryten

Look at the everyday word 'knife'. A noun, unless I knife you (verb), or I'm in a knife fight or on a knife edge (adjective). The point about English is that almost any part of speech is potentially almost any other part. The rules for transfer are very simple, embedded in the language since the year dotcom, and one of its glories. Even the title of the infamous preskriptionfest 'Eats shoots and leaves' or however she punctuates it advertises this.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Thank you Mr. Clinton...

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Right. That was Brooklyn.

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I agree that some words (like knife) are both. Some you cannot.

I thought English was quite hard for others to learn, due to many irregularities. Not as hard as some languages, but not a doddle.

Centuries ago the King wanted everyone to have a standard bible text, but their were many dialects and spellings. There were arguments for varied traditional spellings and for a regularised more phonetic spellings. The traditionalists won.

When was that exactly?

That title highlights how English does demand adherence to rules such as punctuation A comma after 'eats' changes 'shoots' from a noun to a verb. Hence the panda with a gun joke.

Reply to
Kryten

And there was me, thinking it was a joke about her boyfriend...

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke