Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

I have never been good at Mathematics, once you put numbers over other numbers, use alphabet letters in place of numbers, or talk about squaring a number, I am completely lost. This is nothing new. Even in high school I needed special help and barely passed algebra.

Yet, I have worked with electronics all my life. (55+ years). I usually fInd the correct resistors by trial and error, using pots and decade boxes. Or using meters for watts, amps, or volts.

Most of the time I see someone in a youtube video using this kind of math, I skip the video. I just hate math and always will.

But I'd welcome a piece of software that would calculate simple ohms law things like determining the resisitor size or amperage, etc.

Yes, I'm aware of websites that do that math, but I do not have internet access in my shop, which is where I need this sort of thing.

Is there any software (preferably free) that I can put on my laptop PC to do this? (Must be suitable for Windows XP SP3 Pro).

Google did not find anything except those online (web based) calculators...

Reply to
tubeguy

Try this.

Ralph Mowery

No. It's too easy and simple to make it worthwhile writing a stand alone Ohm's Law program for a PC. There are plenty for IOS and Android devices, but not for PC's. It might be helpful in finding something if you were more specific as to what you mean by "other electronics math"?

I think you'll find one of these to be more suitable:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
John Robertson

Web-based software is useful to calculate parallel resistors and such-like. There was a discussion in another group about how to hot-switch between two amplifiers, neither of which would like to be unloaded (but for different reasons).

Turned out that a parallel high-wattage resistor across the amp outputs would do the trick, after a bit of calculation. Using a web-based calculator greatly sped up the process.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Yabut...Tubeguy wants something he can run on his PC since he has a shit connection to the web.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

That took less than a minute.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Thank you.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Basic Ohm's Law calculations can be done on a pocket calculator without the need for anything more complicated. The biggest pitfall is knowing

*which* voltage or *which* current is actually applied to a particular resistor, especially if there are several in some sort of array.; it is not always obvious.

The logic of real-life circuit problems is not particularly amenable to being sorted out by software.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Go to <

> and download HAM-CALC ( HCALC_129.zip ). I unzip the file into a ram-disk whenever I need to use the program. Since it uses GWBASIC, you need to type "cmd" in the START -> Run.. box. I see that you are using WinXP, so this isn't a problem. For more recent version of Windows, you would have to install DOSBOX first.

David

--- Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

David Snowdon

Ohms law, capacitor reactance, numerous other things are frequently resolved with simple software. And I won't mention spice or its limitations.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is simply the application of the Ohm-low : sigma(I)=0 at a node. sigma(V)=0 along a loop. And , of course V=Z*I.

Reply to
Look165

Well, I lied. I found some Windoze and Java programs that do Ohm's law:

Ohm's Law is under the "other" tab.

Ohm's Law simulation: (Required Java)

More possibles:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You would be better off with a piece of log/log graph paper, labeled for a convenient range of V on one axis, and I on the other axis. Every resistor value can be represented by a straight line (a diagonal) on the graph. Scribe in 1 ohm, 10, 100, 1000, 10k etc. lines, and glance at it when you want a value.

Calculators are slow. Laminated charts inform in a couple of seconds, and can be taped on any convenient door/partition/refrigerator.

Reply to
whit3rd

And there must be a PDF or XLS etc file that generates log/log charts for printing out locally.

Which reminds me that decades ago I wrote a spreadsheet to display the Fourier synthesis of a square wave from the first half-dozen harmonics. Must have it somewhere...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Reply to
John Robertson

ITYM

and

Reply to
Andy Burns

I get "404 That page doesn't seem to exist... for both URL's.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yep, that can work; or if you have a shared disk on the network, a bookmark for file://the-shared-disk/utility/resistor-1to100V-1to100mA.pdf

Reply to
whit3rd