Non contact voltage operated switch

Can anybody point me towards a circuit diagram/plan.

I am looking for a design where I can operate a relay by sensing mains (240v ac) power being switched on in a cable. No metalic contact is to be made with the mains cable (ie cut into it). I can wrap a wire round or along it.

Thanks

Reply to
tone

Try googling for "current transformer" or "hall effect device".

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hack a cheap voltage sensor to operate a relay:

Or did you want to learn how it's done?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr