Need advice

Hi,

I am interested in pre solid state electronics and would like to learn to design circuits and build my own guitar amplifiers. Every book I've seen so far deals with all sorts of electronics that is too modern for my needs. Can anyone suggest any book(s) to get me started?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
dan

Have you looked at Rod Elliott site:

? It has more than a 100 audio projects, and a wealth of information in the form of articles. There are also guitar amp designs and information. Most it will be solid state, but perhaps you will find something of interest.

Reply to
Wiebe Cazemier

I suggest you go to a used book search engine, like:

And search [tube amplifiers].

Lots of good and cheap books.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

--
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Radiotron+designer%27s+handbook&btnG=Google+Search

JF
Reply to
John Fields

an

Guitar amplifiers are somewhat specialized, so I think your best bet is to search for books on exactly that subject. There's also a lot on the web regarding tube audio amplifiers in general - certainly useful to get you up to speed on how tubes work in amplifiers, before moving to the guitar-specific stuff.

I just built a small (2-tube) guitar amplifier for my son. I found this site to be helpful:

der/

Mike

Reply to
Mike Silva

Check out Antique Radio Supply -- they have tube amp books, and tubes, and lots of related stuff.

Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Have you tried posting in alt.guitar.amps ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Another good source for used books is

Richard

Reply to
Richard Seriani

Thank you everyone with your very helpful links, suggestions and advice! I'll have to get my wife to print that Radiotron book at work! Thanks Graham, I just posted to alt.guitar.amps.

Dan

Reply to
dan

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newshub.sdsu.edu!news.alt.net!newsfeed.east.grouptelecom.net!wesley.videotron.net!wagner.videotron.net.POSTED!not-for-mail

If you have access to a Public Library, try looking for older editions of the ARRL Radio Amateurs Handbook which were published annually, starting at the beginning of the vacuum tube era. I believe they changed the name to The ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs. These handbooks were filled with descriptions of vacuum tube circuits for audio and radio applications as well as designs for projects. The handbooks are still a good source for data for early tubes and transistors. You can also find copies for sale on Amazon, eBay, and other book stores. Also look for copies of magazines like Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, QST, CQ, and 73.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO

Reply to
Ken Fowler

The Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook - J. Darr (Sams, 1973)

I think this is one of the best guides to Tube Amps and their theory.

Larry

Reply to
Larry P