My favorite analog audio storage = B&W variable-density optical track of old films

things from a sick brain with the sole purpose to irritate visitors of usenet that mostly try their best to help each other and discuss interesting matters.

ir·ri·tate (r-tt) v. ir·ri·tat·ed, ir·ri·tat·ing, ir·ri·tates v. tr.

  1. To rouse to impatience or anger; annoy: a loud bossy voice that irritates listeners. See Synonyms at annoy.
  2. To chafe or inflame.
  3. Physiology To cause physiological activity or response in (an organ or tissue), as by application of a stimulus. v.intr. To be a cause of impatience or anger.

Robert

Well, I wanna be of some help to the Green-guy...

Dear Green-guy.

For the hyper-intelligent, lets say, post-mensa people it must be amusing to pose questions that challenge physics like it is known to men as for today.

Like inventing a sort of darkness-bulb that, when switched on makes darkness where there was light before. ( it's not mine, I heard that from someone )))

But for rec.audio.tech and sci.electronics.basics you would be taken more serious if you would recognize both the limitations of science and the achievements that have been made over the last decades. Also when it comes to audio.

To your idea;

it is possible to record sound, SAMPLED, with signal to noise ratio 1000 times of what can be achieved by the method you describe with apparatus that is available for very little money today ( like computers ) The sampling will leave much less of a residue than the grain of an optical film will.

No need to develop or keep away from light, in contrary to you !

Robert.

Reply to
Bob Woodward

You're weird !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've listened to audio artifacts from very old B&W movies [which used VD]. That's where I get my opinion. I've compared it with movies that came out later [with VA instead of VD]. From there, is where I got my preference for VD over VA.

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

In variable-density, what determines the quality of the audio?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

What characteristics in the film material itself [e.g. the chemicals within the film, "grains", etc. etc.] determines the audio quality [e.g. the bandwidth, dynamic range, SNR, clipping point, treble response, etc. etc.] of a VD track?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]