Your favorite 10 analog IC's

Hmm, it's not really an all-purpuse chip, but I've been having lots of fun with an AD9951 DDS chip lately. If I tried to do this with small-scale chips I'd end up with a humoungous PCB filled with many dozens of chips and it wouldn't perform one tenth as well (maybe one hundredth as well) as this magic little chip.

More generically: NE555, LM324, TL084, CA3046, CD4007, ULN2803, LM317.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Hey thanks Jim. Do you have Digi-Key part numbers for any of those?

I'm wondering if I'll see 24-hour-turn IC fab houses in my lifetime, or if it'll never happen.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

LM1117 ldo reg

LM45 temperature sensor

LM8261 c-load opamp

AD8014 fast opamp

LM7301 gp sot-23 opamp

SN65LVDS2DBVB lvds line receiver

ADCMP565 comparator

MC10EL89 semi-analog ECL thing

ERA-5 mmic

HMC465LP5 amp, except that it costs $185 each

Am I only allowed 10?

John

My favorites: Make your own circuit on TSMC, X-Fab, PolarFab, AMS, AMI, Atmel, IBM, etc ;-)

...Jim Thompson

PIC12F675 (with a/d) along with MCP41010 (10k programable potientiometer used a d/a) - then do everything in software.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

There was a time, in the early 1960's, where we used to turn a new run over a weekend. Those were the fun days when I drew my own layouts on a quadrille pad and cut my own rubylith ;-)

...Jim Thompson

My all-time best sellers: 1488, 1489

...Jim Thompson

Hello Louis,

LM324 LM339 TLV431 LM3478 AD603 SD5400 or similar arrays CD4053 CD4066 CD4007UB

74HCU04

Ok, the last two sound rather digital but they are very handy in analog apps. However, to be truthful here I design a lot of circuitry with discretes. Mostly that is for cost or performance reasons.

So if you had asked for favorite parts instead the list would ramble on with BSS123, 2907, BFS17, BAV99 and so on.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

"Louis Levin" wrote

None of them are glamorous. The janitors of the analog world. You can live without the CEO, but with no janitor the company's doomed.

LM324 - op-amp family LM393 - comparator family LM29xx - LDO voltage regulator family AD654 - V/F ICL7611 - CMOS op-amp family

4051 - CMOS mux family

The rest are application specific, rarely used more than once or twice.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Hello Tim,

Nice mix. The CA3046 might be a bit of a concern, some distributors only have National's version in stock which costs around 40 cents instead of the usual 20. Some call the CA part "mature", an expression that gives me goose pimples when I see that in a semiconductor listing. Sounds too much like "transistor array emeritus".

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Oh, yeah, and those LM385 Vref thingies.

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

This is Louis Levin for forever:

I like stuffs like the 555 timer (such as NE555), LM317, LM324, LM339, and regulators like the 78xx series (rather useful).

Also I like 74xx logic IC's but they aren't exactly analog.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
/ 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
 I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
                                                   -- Amy Lee

(My e-mail address isn't read. Please reply to the group!)
Reply to
Chaos Master

LM393:TL084:SA602:TSH94:FST3125:MCP3202:74HC132:74HC4060:74HC14:MC34152. Wishful thought ... One day I'll be free to use something costing more than a few coppers and not in the Farnell catalogue :) regards john

Reply to
john jardine

I'd have to start with the LM78XX type of regulators. They are just so handy.

The rest of the list, I'm having trouble with the order of:

The flash versions of the 8752 are nice microcontrollers to work with.

The Cool-Runner CPLDs were just about the handiest part in the world when the 5V version was on the market.

The LT1028 op-amp is very handy for low noise stuff.

The LM324 is nice for general DCish op-amping

The TL07X is good as a high impedance op-amp that can do audio frequencies ok.

HC4053 has shown up in many tricky places. In a few it is used as an analog switch.

The LM339 is a handy quad comparitor. It is fast enough for many jobs.

The LT1016 is a good fast comparitor because it runs stabily through its linear range. You can get about a 40GHz Gain-bandwidth out of them and the input side current spike is small enough in most cases.

The "zero power" version on the 22V10 like TICPAL22V10Z is handy in battery powered stuff.

Since that only 9, I'll add the ICT-7540. It is a PAL that is very like a

22V10 except it is more like its 22V22. It has a total of 40 macrocells in a 28 pin plcc package.
kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I find it odd that nobody has mentioned the 4046 phase-locked loop. A very handy gadget - the Philips 74HCT9046 is one of the more impressive variants of RCA's original design, which was in turn a spectacular improvement on Jim's MC4024/MC4044 combination which I first used back in 1972.

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

It's been years since I saw NatSemi CA3046's for sale. All the ones I get are Intersil now. The only catalog house that has them is Allied.

Well, both Intersil and Allied are past mature, they're just plain senile.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

but it

and

SSM2018

Barry Gilbert comes to mind. Google for "Barry Gilbert" with "Analog Devices" and you get some interesting hits. Jim Thompson is proud of the analog multiplier he did for Motorola, but Barry Gilbert is the guy who got it right, amongst a wide variety of other spectacular successes.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Gotta put a word in for the AD633 analog X-er. Don't use it often, but it does what it does really well. Funny how when i think of the really nifty chips, AD crops up again and again - things like the AD75019 patchbay on a chip, AD98xx DDS's, SSM2018 VCA etc etc. Must have some awfully brainy people in Norwood, MA. M

Reply to
Mike Diack

Given the wide range of experience of people in this group, I thought it might be informative to ask:

What are your favorite 10 analog IC's?

By a "favorite" IC, I mean one that covers the widest range of applications and perhaps replaces several of an earlier design. Or maybe one that you keep coming back to that solves a particular problem easily.

With so many new IC's entering the market, many of them being rather specialized, I personally find it difficult to keep up.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Levin

No :-(

I was just a 24 year old kid when I designed those, and I thought that designing was just for fun and that Motorola would always take care of me ;-)

...Jim Thompson