[Help needed] Single supply for Instrumentation amplifier

Hello, I was spending hours today to figure out how can I use a single power supply (say 3v) to power an instrumentation amp

I tried connecting +VCC to 3V and -VCC to ground, probably I'm doing it wrong. If anyone have experience in using an instrumentation amp with a single power supply, please guide me how to power it up. thanks in advance. Alex.

Reply to
Alex

The second paragraph in the section "Low Voltage Operation" discusses operating with a single power supply. There are cautions regarding common mode and output voltages, the Vref, and the outputs of both op amps, one of which is internal and can't be measured directly, so you'll have to run the numbers for your particular application.

Reply to
Rich Webb

ply (say 3v) to power an instrumentation amp

2126). I tried connecting +VCC to 3V and -VCC to ground, probably I'm doing it wrong.

ower supply, please guide me how to power it up.

Hi Alex The chip likes a dual +/- power supply, but the data sheet shows its use wi th a single 5 V supply. The problem with a single supply is the chip doesn' t like to operate near the extremes, so if you can stay near 2.5 V, that's OK. The dual supply allows you to swing through zero, so is much better for many uses. The next question is how to get the two voltages. You can make simple ones that split a 9 volt battery in two. Or if you are prototyping, use 2 batter ies. For later precision measurements, a better circuit would be needed. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, don't hesitate to weigh in... jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

I haven't found any power-thrifty instrumentation amplifier that had adequate CM voltage range with a 3V supply. So I simply used a capacitor- switch booster to get a bit higher voltage, less space and power loss than other methods.

Reply to
Frank Miles