microphone too hot - can I just insert a resistor?

I'd suggest paying more attention to specs and buying compatible equipment in the first instance.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I doubt the mic will go up in smoke, but might be more distorted. In general it's not a good idea to put a voltage divider on the supply of something that has an internal preamp, but in the case of an electret mic it may be just fine since the elements (which have simple 1-FET preamp) are often powered through a series resistor anyway.

If you go with the earlier hardwired resistor plan, you might want to make up a little adapter that has a jack and plug with the resistors inside. Then you plug that into the preamp and plug the guitar into that when you need the extra resistance.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v4.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

between

of

be

Thanks Tim

The mic is being plugged into a mic input that is expecting to see a low impedance into it (in the 200 - 600 ohm region I would think). So would my parallel resistor be around 600 ohms? Also, does the value of the pad (series) resistors affect what the value of the parallel resistor should be? The series resistors will be in the 10K - 15K range by the looks of things.

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

each

should

be?

things.

Wait a minute - I just found this page that explains everything nicely:

tempus fugit