Meter To Measure Current / Calculator Suggestions

I have been looking at a new meter to measure current. I wanted another method to measure instead of moving cables back and forth between voltage/amps.

I was thinking that as a hobby builder I would want to measure between

1uA-5A? I am not having alot of luck with finding a meter that will go that low. The ones that do go that low don't go anywhere near what I would want on the high side. What range do others use, I am just playing around now learning transistors, filters, active antenna's and such with the goal of building a shortwave transmitter in the future.

Also I want to get another calculator that I could program to perform functions. I have been checking out quite a few on Ebay and don't want to spend the HPXX-C model prices, any recommendations there?

Thanks for taking the time reading this!

Jim Douglas

Carrollton, TX USA 75006 Latitude 32.9616 Longitude 96.8916

Reply to
Jim Douglas

I find that I very rarely need to measure current (and I've been working in electronics for over 40 years).

However, most DVMs these days will measure currents from 200 uA to 10A full scale, which should cover almost any requirement.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

HP3478A will do 3 amps. Has 1uA resolution on 300mA scale. My experience has been that whenever I really, really needed ACCURATE low current measurements, there were a bunch of other issues. The meter resolution was the least of my worries.

HP calculators are nice if you have dedicated calculations and absolutely need portability. But a laptop is cheaper. Desktop cheaper still. There are some mighty nice math packages available. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Mike's right. How far do you ever wander from a PC?

BTW, sci.electronics is not a valid group.

Reply to
JeffM

Here is a circuit that looks a bit like an Instrumentation Amplifier with the property of no voltage drop. It is of course good only for small currents ----+-|+\ | ___ ___ | >- +----)-+-|___|-+-|___|-+ | +-|-/ | | | R1 | R1 | | | |/ .-. | | | === | | | | | | | GND | | | |R | | | | | '-' | | | |\ Ue=0 | | | | +-|+\ Uout | +-------+ | | | >--+----o | | | | | +-|-/ | | | .-. | | | |/ | Uout=2*R*I | | | | | | | | | | | |R | | | | | | |\ '-' | | | | | +-|-\ | | | ___ | ___ | V | >- +----+-)-|___|-+-|___|-+ o-----

Reply to
Ban

How accurate is ACCURATE? What kind of resolution is acceptable? High accuracy usually means high resoultion also. The HP 428B DC Current Meter is an older vacuum tube technology instrument, but it has a clamp-on probe that will let you measure current without having to open the current path to measure. Full-scale ranges from 1ma to 10A.

+/- 3% full scale on all ranges. Find them on Ebay from $25 - $150.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

I have a hung chang analogue meter that measures (dc) current from 5 mA to

10 A, which I think is sufficient.In all my life I needed to measure current only once, when I needed to find out if a battery charger provided the right charging current.I trashed my digital multimeter, after finding out it was incapable of measuring leaking resistance (hundreds of kohm) correctly.5 mA is quite a small current, and 10 quite a large.There are meters with a clamp (a small current transformer) that you put around the live conductor in AC and measures current indirectly.There are few meters that can measure ac current directly, thus it passes through them.

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr Ï "Jim Douglas" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

that

Reply to
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Just get a cheap meter that measures the low end. All you then need to expand the top range is a shunt resistor, you should be able to wind your own as the value will be very low for fsd readings of 5A or more.

Reply to
SteveB

E÷R has always done it for me, but I did use a current range checking for car battery leakage with ignition off once.

FWIW forget using the current ranges, you'll only end up wrecking the DAMN DMM

want

of

ctyguy

A reasonable DMM will have an internal replaceable fuse for the current range to protect the meter.

Reply to
SteveB

OK, you guy's with the Harbor Freight got to me and I just completed the order for (5) of the $2.99 meters. I was going to order more and put em on Ebay. I will have some to give to other's when they ask some questions about electronics. Thanks!

now

of

low

absolutely

There

instrument,

having

in

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Get a DMM with current measuring capability up to 10 or 20 amps. (It seems that those are the two most common sizes for the high side of the current measuring capability.) On the low side you don't need to measure down to 1 uA. Standard for these meters seems to be 200 uA. Almost any decent DMM you buy has current measuring capability. Even the $2.99 (on sale) Harbor Freight meter that Roy mentioned measures 200 uA to 10 Amps. I think it may be on sale now. By the way, that is a great buy - it even comes with a 9V battery included. It's great for non-critical measurements, and for "kick-around" use where if it gets damaged or lost it doen't matter. And the thing is surprisingly accurate.

If you do enough messing around as a hobbyist, you will certainly run into occasions where you want to measure the current.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr