convert current meter

Is it possible to convert an analog meter that measures up to 500mA to read up to 1 amp and also 1.5 amps.

This is to measure the draw on a 12 volt DC circuit. Motor is supposed to draw 0.91A

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

It\'s possible, and all that\'s required is to place a resistance in
parallel with the meter which, in the 1 amp case, diverts 1/2 of the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

If you can supply the meter with 500 mA, do so, and put a resistor in parallel with the meter. Adjust the resistor's value until the meter reads

250 mA. It will take a low value of resistor (maybe .1 Ohms), most likely.

For the 1.5 amps case, do the same but adjust the resistor until the meter reads 1/3 scale.

If you can't adjust the meter to read exactly 500 mA, set a convenient value (as high as possible) then adjust the resistor to read half of the value. This doubles the meter's range.

Good luck.


Reply to
John - KD5YI

I gave up. I bought a better meter.

Thanks for the replies

Reply to
Pat Kilgore

ElectronDepot website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.