Measuring volt-amperes

I have a spec for a furnace accessory that requires 2VA (volt-amperes) minimum from transformer (120VAC to 24VAC.) I can measure the 24 volts, but how do I determine the volt-amperes? Many thanks.

Reply to
Fred C.

The VA, or Volt Amp requirement has already been determined for you. The 2 VA rating required by the furnace accessory you have is well below the capacity of most small transformers of the type usually used for furnace control devices. Assuming your device requires 24 VAC (quite common with heating systems) you should be able to purchase an appropriate transformer that mounts to an electrical box from an outlet supplying the heating trade, electrical supply outlet, etc.

A simplified calculation of your situation would yield: VA/Volts= 2/24=.083 amps. Not exactly a high current device.

Not knowing your skill level, or knowledge of such things, I would urge you to consult an electrical, or HVAC technician before actually engaging in your project. Quite often heating control devices (depending on the furnace type) are utilized to switch line level 120v or greater) voltage.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee