Recharging Batteries

Hello

I have a battery charger which has the following info on it:

Quick Charger for NICAD Packs

7.2V - 1.2Ah / 1.8Ah Output: 9V -- (solid line with a dashed line underneath it) 2A / 30 min

Would it be suitable for charging batteries with this spec:

NiCd Cells Charge Current (mA): 160 (14-16 hrs) 53 (Trickle > 48 hrs) Capacity: 1.6Ah Voltage: 1.2

I would connect 6 of them in series to get 7.2V.

TIA

Reply to
Jim

Hi, The charger you describe is for quick charging. It is not the best way to get the most from your batteries. A 7.2 Volt battery is common in tools and RC cars both of which usually lend themselves to desiring a quick charge. The specs on the battery you describe are for typical NiCad charging. Your plan to put them in series could give you problems if the cells do not have close characteristics or are not at the same discharge level. I would not charge a series of NiCads on a quick 2A charge. The 7.2 V. packs also have a temperature monitoring provision, how would you do this in a series setup?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi