measuring ac wattage from ampere

--
I hadn't noticed it.
Reply to
John Fields

After reading this thread through a couple of times, (after a little
prodding from the new Italian influence) it appears that I misread
what you were saying, and that you were right and I was wrong with
reference to the upper limit of the power measurement.

Of course, with a power factor of 1, EI will yield watts.

However, if the power factor is less than 1, EI will yield
volt-amperes, and the real power will always be less than EI.
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields:

Honoured. Truly.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

So get a 240 volt version:

phantom

Turn of every other appliance and observe the watt-hour meter on your supply. it have be written on it how many pulses of the LED (or turns of the rotor) is one watt hour, so count them for a timed duration and do some arithmetic.

This method is somewhat inconvenient if frequent measurements are needed but for a one-off on a tight budget it seems ideal.

--
??pun u?op ?o?? s?u??????
Reply to

That will get you the wrong answer most of the time, especially when electronics are involved.

??pun u?op ?o?? s?u??????
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks,

I tried the power company meter method, I have rather primitive meter which has a rotating disc. It had a resolution of 100 spins per kwatt hour. So I connected a 100 w bulb and It spun once in 6 minutes. Surely the maths adds up. 10 spins for 100w hr. ..so it should spin once in six mins for a 100 watt load.

This way I could profile a lot of things.

Thanks to all.

Suraj

suraj joneja