Making a 2 Volt 400 Amp bridge rectifier?

The 400CNQ center tap, high current, Schottky rectifier module series has been optimized for very low forward voltage drop, with moderate leakage. The proprietary barrier technology allows for reliable operation up to 150 =B0C junction temperature.

The cathode base is common.

How do you use 4 of these with respect to heat sink mounting and electrical isolation?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

That part is not normally intended to be used as part of a=20 bridge, but for a half bridge (center tap of a winding as=20 the negative output, common cathode as positive output)=20 rectifier. I also know of no standard way to isolate the=20 common cathode mounting bar from the heat sink. If I had 4=20 of these and had to make a bridge, I would connect each pair=20 of diodes in parallel (use each unit as one rectifier) and=20 mount them on 4 electrically isolated heat sinks.

--=20 Regards,

John Popelish

Reply to
John Popelish

John,

4 isolated heat sinks is a reasonable solution.

A fan wouldn't hurt.

Any Shottkey 400 Amp bridges available for less than a tank of gas?

Or a better way?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
BoyntonStu

That depends on how much current you push through those 400 amp rated diodes and how large the heat sinks are.

Not to my knowledge.

Look for doubler configuration diodes (connected in series, cathode to anode), instead of common cathode. Two of those can be used to make a bridge by connecting the AC to the common nodes and tying the cathode ends together as positive output and anodes together as negative output. Only two isolated heat sinks needed.

I.e. (though not a Schottky:

Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Here is a better example, and one with an isolated mount, so only one heat sink can be used:

Good luck finding two of them for less than $50.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Schottky:

John,

At 400 Amps I believe that the power dissipation would be too much in a non-Shottkey rectifier.

Also, the forward voltage drop is a major consideration at such low voltages.

Also, my intention is to supply 1-1/2 Volts DC at 400 Amps and I would need to wind additional high current carrying cables around the xformer core to make the output higher.

What kind and value smoothing cap would you recommend and ditto bleeder resistor?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

I agree. I was not recommending that device, just using it as an example of the doubler configuration.

No kidding!

Have you considered winding a center tapped output so you can use just two diodes (or your original part)? At this voltage and current, synchronous rectifiers made of large MOSFETs with a separate gate drive winding might be a lot better.

What is the frequency? An inductor filter may work better.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

It's for electrolysis. Frequency?

Thanks

Reply to
BoyntonStu

That you are rectifying. You didn't say, up till now if the transformer is a line frequency device or the output of a switching supply. I'm guessing line frequency.

For electrolysis, an inductor filter is probably better than a capacitor, if one is needed, at all. It will lower the average output voltage, but load the rectifiers and transformer more efficiently.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to