Kicad vias

How do I get Kicad's pcb editor to insert a via? It's probably really simple, but I can't make it happen!

Argh!

Reply to
Randy Day

You're right, it is ;-) Press the "V" key.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Why do you have to press "v" to get a via ?

Most decent programs place them automatically as you change layer !

Marra

"V" is the keyboard shortcut to change to the selected alternate layer and drop a via. The layer pair for vias is a user option. It defaults to component and copper but can be any two layers.

The top and bottom layers are bound to PgUp and PgDown, with inner layers (up to 8 inner) bound to F-keys (additional layers beyond 10 total don't get dedicated keys). Changing a track's layer with Pg-x or F-x does drop a via, as expected.

Reply to
Rich Webb