Is this scheme reasonable?

You mean they are floating at the surface sleeping?

I seriously doubt they mistake you for another gator. I'm no expert, but they have lots of other senses than sight. I don't know about gators where you are, but people have been taken out of kayaks in Africa by crocs. They are smart enough to know the boat is not edible and go for the chewy center.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I have a Fuji XP-something I bought at Costco. I saw the other day they have a similar model. I haven't tested its waterproof qualities, but it is rated for pretty significant immersion.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Have you tried GE silicon sealant? The food grade stuff, I've used that to put together glass for aquariums, and also to seal up outdoor electric motors. (I've got a winch on my truck that raises and lowers the snow plow.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah they seem to be floating at the surface and in one particular spot, near someone's deck light. Maybe they are ambush feeders or the light attracts fish? I know they like duck...

I'm not sure what is going on with them, but the larger ones do seem interested in kayaks. I would have said the same things; but then I was down at the boat ramp one day talking to the public works supervisor (they have this ultrasonic gizmo that measures the lake level to control the dam gate valves, I was interested in that). He said he thought he was being attacked in his kayak by a gator that entered the lake from the shore as his boat got close to it. I was taking that with a grain of salt, until he whipped out his cell phone and showed me a picture of the gator in the water and the bow of the boat.... up close and personal.

But I figure it's like they say about barracuda: "They don't attack humans." But you don't ever want to wear a shiny wristwatch or jewelry while diving where there are 'cuda especially in murky water.

Reply to
default

Individually, all the problems are solvable, together it is a different story.

The problems

I need days with wind in the 8-16 mph range from the NE or SW. Preferably steady with minimum gusting and within a range of arc of ~30 degrees downwind. (that's just to test a new idea)

Then there's the matter of pointing the camera without a lot of extra lines and stuff to fool with because launching a kite from a sitting position is tricky enough with three bridle lines, tow line, and four drogue lines.

It helps if the kite goes up the first try, because launching a wet kite is harder. (assuming things aren't so twisted and knotted that it still seems possible)

Then the boat has to be traveling slower than the wind or the kite may go in the drink and the boat drifts over it. That takes rafting to a buoy or structure, or adding more lines with a sea anchor. The kite sinks and will fly upside down in water too - so there's an extra float attached to the drogue to deal with that.

And miracle of miracles it all comes together for a new try - only to discover that there's enough moisture inside the camera housing to create condensate when the top half gets heated by the sun, and the bottom where the lens is, is covered with water droplets.

Just launching and flying a kite from a kayak is a challenge. I've made every mistake in the book (if there were a book) and adapted and created, and managed to get it to work when the wind cooperates. Even on the best of days there will be times when I'm busier than the proverbial "one-armed paper hanger."

This is a lake with trees around it creating their own brand of turbulence, wind eddies, down drafts, and shielding. Landing the kite can be as challenging as launching, steering the boat so I don't parallel the waves and capsize, pulling in line, keeping the paddles from hitting the water while winding in line, worrying about getting it all together before the kite drifts over a road or power line. The kite has 300 lb line on it and it takes both arms just to pull in one wrap around the winder some days. (I fly 4 kites depending on conditions from a tiny one to a mammoth one)

It can be exhilarating when the boat is flying along, but it's scary too. I've only capsized three times and all three times I was using a kite... The boat is pulling you along while you tread water trying to get the kite line in. When the water temp is 40, that adds a whole new dimension to the problem - the initial shock is bad, but after awhile a kind of lassitude takes over and putting on the life jacket just seems like too much hassle. "stay safe, have fun, don't get caught"

If it were easy, where would fun be in that?

Reply to
default

I had exactly that experience with a barracuda once. He eventually figured out I wasn't trying to feed him a fish and left.

I can't imagine kayaking in gator infested waters. I guess you can go by the reports (or lack thereof) of attacks on kayakers, but you only need to run into one gator who hasn't seen those reports.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You don't wear a life vest?

--

Rick C
Reply to

'Gators live in 40 degree water?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

No, too restrictive. A mini-vest with CO2 cartridge might be a good idea, especially in the intra coastal water way or around the inlets. No trees so it's excellent for a kite, but the river traffic is a hassle.

Reply to
default

They endure 40 degree water. I go kayaking year round. They are only a bother during the hottest summer weather - the air temp will be

75-79 at 4 AM, RH ~70% (pretty miserable IMO) and the lake feels warmer, that's when they sleep on the surface, and active during the day.

Climate change is perceptible these days; our planting zone has moved down 2 full steps (that thing on seed packets...) Several species of lizard that should be at the northernmost range of their territory 150 miles south of us are now very common - all in the last 20 years or so. Alligators are another thing we are adapting to. They've been around for years they are just bigger and moving inland now.

Reply to
default