How can I use a 220volt kitchen appliance?

I have a 220volt 600watt kitchen appliance from abroad which I would like to use here in the US. I am not willing to use a bulky and heavy converter to do this, so I thought there was no hope for this until recently I came across this: "Note that currently all new American buildings get in fact 230 volts split in two 115 between neutral and hot wire. Major appliances, such as ovens, are now connected to 230 volts. Americans who have European equipment, can connect it to these outlets."

I searched to confirm this, and came across posts here indicating that it is.

What I am wondering is, how do I know where it can be safely plugged in?

Actually, I am living in a house from the 50s right now, so I think the answer is nowhere. But I would give it to a friend with a more modern house, if it is likely she can use it. How do we tell?

Thank you in advance. I hope my question is not too basic for you.

Andria

Reply to
Andria

Hi. Question isn't too basic at all.

Most all American houses are wired like you say. In the kitchen, your best chance of finding 220 is if you have an electric range. There's frequently a

220VAC outlet there. Also, if you have an air conditioner in the kitchen, look there. The American plugs for 220VAC usually have the two blades in line with each other

------ -------

.-. ( ) '-'

instead of 110VAC, which usually look like this:

or this

.-. ( ) '-' created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

As always, if you're not sure about what you're doing, find out. One good source for really basic electrical knowledge for mere mortals is the Readers Digest Guide to Home Repairs. Take a look in there, or just go to your library and look in the 630s if they've got Dewey decimal.

If you're really not comfortable, ask someone who knows. Many times, the offer of a six pack of their favorite libation is enough to work wonders.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064