Input jack switching

I have just started out building little effects stomp boxes for my guitar, and have had good success with my first one. But I was unable to work out how to implement one feature of most good pedals, and would appreciate any advice people can give.

Most pedals with the option of operating from a battery disconnect the battery when you remove the jack plug from the input socket. This means that you don't have to remember to switch the pedal off, before putting it away.

It seemed to me that this would be implemented using a switching jack socket. The battery negative would be connected to a normally-open contact, which would close and connect with the signal ground when a jack was inserted. However, if this is how it's normally done, there is a problem: I can't find anyone who sells jack sockets with normally-open switching contacts like this.

Is there another way to do it, using sockets with normally-closed switching contacts?

If not, any suggestions for a UK supplied of appropriate sockets? I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't think RS will deal with me.

Reply to
chase_p_a

** Just use a normal " stereo" jack.

The "ring" terminal goes to - 9v.

Guess what happens when you plug in a guitar ??

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Let me check that I understand.

The guitar has a mono jack and the sleeve of the mono jack is the same length as the sleeve and ring of the stereo socket. So, when I plug in a mono jack to a stereo socket, the jack itself makes a connection between the ring and sleeve.

So, I connect my circuit's ground to the stereo socket sleeve, the battery negative to the stereo socket ring and my circuit's signal input to the stereo socket tip. And, I guess, the normally-closed tip switching contact of the stereo socket to ground, as well, to earth the input when there's no jack (though the effect is then off, anyway).

Actually, there's one more issue, since you clearly know about this stuff. Most footswitches are DPDT. If one wants true bypass, one needs all those contacts for switching the signal. So how does one achieve an effect on/off LED? In my first pedal, I avoided this by not having true bypass: one pole switches the output socket between a plain buffer and the effect, while the other pole switches the LED. But people seem to like true bypass (though Boss still doesn't do it, and no-one says they're crap).

Reply to
chase_p_a

** All of the previous text is MISSING !!!

YOU are not using Google Groups correctly !!!

Click on Options first - then reply.

** Bingo.

** Yep.

But it is still a good idea to short out the jack plug in case of static electricty build up on the lead.

** True by-pass is rare.

Almost all pedals switch *electronically* with a simple touch contact switch to trigger a bi-stable circuit.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry about the missing previous text. On some discussion boards, posting all the previous text is bad, because it clutters up the board. But I see that Google Groups manages to hide the quoted text until it's wanted. I shall post the previous text from now on, when using Google Groups.

Thanks for your help with the circuit. I'll > > Let me check that I understand.

Reply to
chase_p_a

chase_p snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote: [jack sockets]

RS deal with me and I'm a hobbyist. There is a minimum order though; £20 or so IIRC.

Tim

--
-
Reply to

Same with Farnell.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In addition to quoting, also please bottom-post.

You don't really need DPDT to get "true bypass", unless your signals are balanced differential, which guitars clearly aren't. :-) Just run the ground side straight through, and switch the signal. Actually, switching the ground is a bad idea, because whichever equipment is inactive just floats, and that's not a good idea.

So, use one pole to switch the signal, keep the ground common all the way through, and do anything with the other contact that you can imagine. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Surely for true bypass, you need two poles just to switch the signal. That is with the grounds connected straight through.

The first pole switches the input signal between going to your circuit or going to the second pole.

The second pole switches the output jack between the signal from your circuit or the signal from the input (via the first pole).

If you only switch the output, it's not true bypass. Your circuit is still loading the input. Guitars aren't very good at driving low impedances, so if you have a bunch of (inactive)effect boxes with just output switching, then they could ruin the clean tone.

I heard an argument that buffering is better than true bypass, sometimes. I also heard an argument that few, if any, people, can really hear the difference!

Reply to
chase_p_a

"Rich Grise Pig Ignorant Asshole"

** Fraid you do.

** Shame that ain't a true bypass - FUCKWIT !!

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oh! Well, that's different!

Never Mind! ;-)