Infrared reflective sensor

Hi All, I'm looking for a part which provides an output signal when a reflective surface is placed in front of it. I'm designing a circiut for my kids in which an LED should go on everytime their hamster makes one revolution in it's spinning wheel. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Jen

Reply to
Jen

Hello Jen,

Here is one effective and interesting approach if you can get the pieces to build it.

Someone in the group brought this to my attention a little while back, I thought of mounting one on my backyard miniature 7' windmill.

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

Christopher

"Jen"

** Try attaching a small magnet to the wheel and have it activate a reed switch each revolution.

Then it's just battery, reed switch and LED - plus maybe a resistor.

Reed switch = tiny, glass encapsulated, magnetically *closed* switch used in burglar alarms to detect open doors and windows.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks! That's a neat idea, if I can get it to work. It also would demonstrate to the kids how mechanical energy can be turned into electrical energy.

-Jen

Reply to
Jen

Thanks for the idea! If the first solution posted here doesn't work, than I have a backup.

-Jen

Reply to
Jen

I've been using Hanamatsu P5587 photoreflectors, which are designed for exactly this purpose. They include LED and sensor in a single

5-pin package and have a schmidt-trigger and amp built in, so they provide a clean 0-5V signal you can generally use without further conditioning. They're popular with robotics enthusiasts for making wheel encoders, which is what I use them for. I've found them to be pretty sensitive to the distance between sensor and target though, and need to be within a few mm with a fairly true wheel to work reliably. That's using laser a laser printed patter with stripes 3-4mm wide though, larger stripes and reflective material eases the positioning requirements quite a bit. Even so, a hamster wheel may be a bit too wobbly for them. If you want to try them, they're available in small quantities from robotics enthusiast stores,
has them for example. A search on the part name and 'robot' will find plenty of examples and advice.

If you're not dead-set on an optical sensor, I think I prefer Phil Allison's magnet and reed switch idea. Much less sensitive to positioning and it won't stop working when the hamster flicks a bit of sawdust on the sensor. Bicycle computers work this way, with a magnet on the wheel and a reed switch on the frame.

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

One could probably just buy a bicycle speedometer and use it directly. They should have calibration instructions, and you could probably calibrate it so that 1 revolution gives a reading of 0.1 or 0.01 miles, making it easy to figure the number of revs from the odometer reading.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

a maget's going to unbalance the wheel (easily cured) but also cause a non-uniform drag and a cogging action when it passes near the steel axle supports, dunno if that'll trip the hamster up or not.

a piece of retro-reflective tape would probably work well if cleaned regularly.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts