inductor substitution

I have an small electric motor that has some kind of speed control pcb attached to it. There are two inductors manufactured by Devalon marked 4.7uH and 10% They are the size of a 1/4 resistor and solid beige in color. My question is can I substitute a color wheel inductors that are marked like resistors? Is there some brief rules when it comes to inductors of this size and value and how to go about substituting other inductors that look different but are the same value.

hank you very much.

Russ

Reply to
Uriah

My first thought is that the value and tolerance are the important items - the colour scheme can vary with the whim of the manufacturer.

One other item that may be significant is the current-carrying capability - but you'd need to get the manufacturer's specs for the original part to find its rating. A study of the circuit may suggest the necessary current capability.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Then except for the current rating can I use any inductor that is the same value and tolerance? They sell some inductors that are 4.7uH and 10% but are marked like resistors on ebay.

|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Would these work. I seem to having a hard time finding info on all of the different types of inductors that look the same style.

Thanks again

Reply to
Russ

The tolerance is unlikely to matter.

[snip]

Yes, assuming that they can handle the current. But that's easier said than done if you don't know the current rating for the existing inductor. A search on Farnell's site for 4.7uH axial-leaded inductors shows parts with current ratings from 320mA up to 1.6A.

E.g.:

4.7uH, 380mA, 3.3mm dia x 9.8mm long:

4.7uH, 820mA, 4mm dia x 9.2mm long:

The eBay listing says "about 4mm dia., 9mm length"; both of the above are roughly that size, but one has over twice the current rating of the other.

You would be better off getting something with a known current rating, preferably the highest rating which will fit into the space available. Too high a current rating shouldn't be a problem (if it is, your only option is to find an identical component), but too low a rating could result in failure (not necessarily of the inductor, but possibly of something more expensive).

Reply to
Nobody