inductor question

If you have a length (l) of wire coiled to make an inductor and you stretch the wire (ie. space the coils further) but do not change the diameter (see

is the inductance the same? I understand inductance to be L = (mu N^2 A) / l + 0.45d. So if I'm stretching the coils but not changing l (length) will the inductance change? I guess that technically the cross sectional area (A) would be changing slightly due to stretching to coils ... but I'm not sure if that minor variation is negligible - since I'm not actually changing the diameter. I thought that you compress/decompress coils (which is what I think this example is) to tune inductance... is this what's happening? How does a variable inductor work? I have no equipment so I can't just coil some wire and stretch it myself to see. Insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
R.Spinks

Where does your formula come from? The closest reference I could find was this page:

A common formula for an air core cylinder coil is Wheeler's formula,

L (microhenries) =(0.8 * N^2 * R^2)/(6*R + 9*L + 10*B). N = total number of turns R = average radius = (inner radius + outer radius)/2 L = coil length (along the axis) B = thickness of the winding = outer radius - inner radius (all dimensions in inches, coil immersed in air) The L in that equation does not refer to the length of the wire, but to the length of the cylinder of the coil's form. So stretching the coil out into a longer cylinder certainly changes L and thus the inductance.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

stretch