inductor winding

Hi,

I wound a test inductor using litz wire and a ferrite core, one layer of wire on the bobbin, now I realize there is still enough room for adding another layer of wire. I would like to keep the same number of turns, is it ok to wind the next layer on top of the first, in parallel with the first layer? The reason I ask is the second layer will have a wider loop of copper, and thus a longer path length of wire, so if I attach the ends of the first and second layer in parallel, the DC resistance of the outer layer will be higher, so I don't know if this will cause a lower Q in the inductor. The other option is wind two strands at once and then make a second layer with these, but that requires insulation between the first and second layers.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

You are better off winding with two lengths of Litz placed side by side for the whole extent of the winding. If you do two layer some lines of force will try to sneak between them and induce a circulating current. The more leakage inductance, the worse the problem.

Reply to
MooseFET

Hi,

Side by side winding, that is one of the two wires always on the outside with a longer wire length than the parallel inner wire?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken