Identifying Infared LEDs

I have a Infrared LED transmitter and receiver that is part of a redemption game and I need to get some new ones. The distributor wants $100.00 for a pair of them. Of course the distributor or the manufacture won't tell me anything about them and there are no docs or specs or anything to help me in trying to find them from Mouser or Digi-key. Is there an easy way to figure out what they are so that I can pick them up for probably under $5.00 from anyone but the distributor? I am hoping for some cheap test gear that tells you the wave length and what ever else I need to know. Thanks Russ

Reply to
Uriah

There is no easy way to measure the wavelength without special equipment. You can measure the carrier frequency for the protocol using an oscilloscope, which will at least let you choose a receiver/ transmitter pair that will work together.

Reply to
larwe

I had an ice machine that used an Infrared LED transmitter and receiver. When the leads corrodide off of one of them, I found it cost $105 plus shipping to get the new assembly. I went to Radio Shack and bought their infrared transmitter and receiver pair, and installed them. It worked fine. What is a redemtion game and how is the Infrared LED transmitter and receiver used? Mike

Reply to
amdx

er.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Mike

It is one of those games you played as a kid and got tickets from it. Like Skee Ball, etc. Like at a Chuckie Cheese. All these do is determine position but I tried some other ones and I couldn't get it to work. If I remember right I measured 5 volts at the receiver and it dropped below 1 volt when the transmitter made contact. Perhaps I just need a pair that operates like that, but what do I look for? What spec is that? The game is a long way off so I have a hard time experimenting. . I run across these all of the time and was hoping for some test instrument that would help, but I guess they don't have one for what I am looking for. I did buy all of the radio shack IR LED's along with many others but it is hard to match them up. Thanks Russ

Reply to
Uriah

Radio Shack 276-142 is a matched emitter/detector pair.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It is one of those games you played as a kid and got tickets from it. Like Skee Ball, etc. Like at a Chuckie Cheese. All these do is determine position but I tried some other ones and I couldn't get it to work. If I remember right I measured 5 volts at the receiver and it dropped below 1 volt when the transmitter made contact. Perhaps I just need a pair that operates like that, but what do I look for? What spec is that? The game is a long way off so I have a hard time experimenting. . I run across these all of the time and was hoping for some test instrument that would help, but I guess they don't have one for what I am looking for. I did buy all of the radio shack IR LED's along with many others but it is hard to match them up. Thanks Russ

I think what you said is, with the signal from the LED transmitter blocked from the receiver, the output voltage is 5 volts. When you allow the transmitter signal (light) to hit the receiver the output goes down to 1 volt. That seems normal to me, you might be able to get an output voltage a little lower than 1 volt with better aim but, 1 volt would work in most circuits. As someone else pointed out Radio Shack sells the IR devices in matched pairs. Mike

Reply to
amdx

If they are still working you can view them through any home video camera setup and use that to gauge the brightness/suitability of a possible replacement set? My camcorder almost lets me count the pulses coming out of the TV remote.

Reply to
Lee
[ snip ]

What type of camera do you have? Most video cameras are going to operate in the

30-60 Hz range, far away from allowing you to see a 36Khz signal.

Though I may not understand the application you're talking about being able to count.

MikeD

Reply to
MikeD