Identifying a wire

OK I'm putting an old radio in a new truck and the wiring harness had to be slightly different. Bottom line: I've got about 5 extra wires coming out of the radio. Now one of them powers the panel lights but I don't know which one or how much power it needs. How would someone go about 'tickling' the wires with increasing voltage (up to 12 one supposes but maybe less?) to determine which one controls lighting?

--
        "Steamboat Ed" Haas         :  "Hold on! we\'re passing
        Hacking the Trailing Edge!  :  through the moronosphere!"

I'd start by looking up the radio model, maybe there is a wiring guide online. I have also seen ready made harness adapters in the stores.

Reply to
Lord Garth

There is a color code. I remember yellow being the light circuit, blue being power antenna, pink being remote on. Best google it because my memory could be flawed after all these years of having no hands on experience.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Keep in mind that in new vehicles everything talks to the control module. If you want the window down, the switch doesn't put the window down it tells the module that you want the window down. If the module thinks you should have the window down, it will do it. The radio is no exception. You may have speed sensing sound, alarm tones and more. Get an adaptor.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

An old radio wouldn't have that capability...

There are likely leads for: power (memory) switched power dial lights speakers (x4) antenna in antenna motor ground (x5)

Reply to
Lord Garth

True, but the vehicle may be expecting more than that. If the radio is installed independently of the existing harness then its possible to connect as you say, but if the op is replacing a stock radio there could be problems.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi