GM Car Radio Lamps

The miniature lamps in my 1999 GM Car Radio have burned out. What bulb would adequately replace these bulbs? Also it looks like two of the ten bulbs are different with maybe a higher intensity.

Thanks, Don and Liz

LOP

They have radios that still use lamps and not LEDs???

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yes, I had to replace the lamps on my 2000 Pontica Montana radio last year. These must be made specifically for GM, because after lots of searching I never did find exact replacements. I have no idea if the 1999 radio uses ths same lamps, but I ended up removing the remaining good lamp and measuring the current draw at 12-14v. I bought a few lamps approx the same physical size and current draw, and selected the one that best matched the brightness of the original when powered-up. I will see if I can find the part number for the lamp that I ended up using. IIRC it was a fairly efficient bulb... lots of candlepowers per watt. Don't use a higher current bulb to get the brightness where you want it, you could blow the driver transistors.

Reply to
Paul

I replace these all the time in GM radios. There are two different size bulbs used, depending on the radio model and faceplate. The larger one is a T-1 type bulb. I use part #141073 from Jameco Electronics as a replacement. The are the same size and so close to the same MSCP that you can't really tell. For the micro lamps I find that Radio Shack #272-1092 works pretty good. Not quite as bright, but the difference is small. The current draw of both lamps is well within the capabilities of the lamp driver circuit.

D_Zoot

"D_Zoot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Can you help me with my radio? I have a 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 with about 3 blown bulbs. How do you change these bulbs and/or remove the radio?

I'll assume there is no easy way to accomplish this, but since you work on these all the time, maybe you can help.

Reply to
Peter

Peter,

The bulbs are soldered to the board, if you are equipped to deal with soldering on a smallish scale read on:

I don't work at a Chevy garage, so this removal procedure may be a little vague, but in a nutshell you have to pull the bezel/trim panel off that goes around the instrument cluster, radio and heater controls. Usually these panels are just held in place by spring clips and the panel should pull straight off. On some applications the bottom of the panel tucks in under the panel below the steering column. Once you get the panel off, there will be two or three screws holding the radio in, after removing the screws the radio pulls straight out.

Remove any round knobs from the front of the radio by pulling straight off. Pop the top and bottom covers off the radio. find two or three groups of wires (depending on radio model) coming out from the faceplate area and plugging into the boards inside the radio, unplug these wires at the connectors on the boards. Carefully release the tabs around the perimeter of the faceplate and pull the faceplate straight off. Looking at the backside of the faceplate you should see a number of screws holding the display and button circuit board to the backside of the faceplate. Remove these screws while holding the board in place. Put the faceplate face down (this is so all the buttons and light tubes don't fall out of it) and remove the circuit board.

Now you should be looking at all the lamps! If you have more than a couple blown, you might want to replace them all while you are there.

Good luck! D

Reply to
D_Zoot

"D_Zoot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! I have the stuff to solder tiny components, so I should be all set. If I get the time, I'll try this procedure.

Will the bulb numbers be on the bulbs so I know what to replace them with? I deleted the previous message(s) with the bulb numbers and where to order them because I wasn't sure if they applied to my brand or not.

Also, they are incendecent, correct? Another words - no polarity.

It's a silly question, but figured I'd ask it just in case.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Peter

No part numbers on the lamps (even if you find a number, it would probably be a house number), yup, they are regular incandecent, put them in either direction.

For the larger lamps, T-1 style, I use part #141073 from Jameco Electronics as a replacement. The are the same size and so close to the same MSCP that you can't really tell. For the micro lamps I find that Radio Shack #272-1092 works pretty good. Not quite as bright, but the difference is small. The current draw of both lamps is well within