IC Designations

Hiya folks. I was looking over at

at the modern versions of the

6502/65816, and still being a relative novice, I'm confused by the codes they identify chips with.

On that page, for example, the chip is listed as W65C816S8P-14. I know the W is probably the brand, 65C816 is the chip (C for CMOS version, right?), and S is apparently for Static, though I don't know what that means. And the rest is confusing. There's both an 8P-14, and 8PG-14. The 14 I think is the maximum mhz, but no clue on the rest.

And when looking at

, I noticed even more suffixes I don't understand, like CBM, A, PEI, etc.

While I'd at least like to know what those codes are for the 65C816, I'd much rather know if there's a reference out there for all these various things that I can jump back to when necessary, since there's similar markings on various other common ICs. Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

Reply to
FyberOptic

It's a wild world out there ! Every manufacturer has its own 'house codes'.

Don't fret about it, just learn to live with it !

Graham

p.s. you forgot about codes for lead free !

Reply to
Eeyore

Hi, Fyber. If there's a "C" in the middle of the number, that frequently does mean it's CMOS. I'm not sure if the "S" does mean static, but apparently your CPU is ("static" means you can arbitrarily slow down the clock cycle time to DC, and the CPU will still function, as long as the various other timing parameters are met.

Here's what you do. Go to the bottom of the web page, and download the datasheet, if you haven't already. Print it out. Keep it with you always. Give it a pet name. Spill coffee or tea on it at least once, preferably twice or more. Bend and mark up the pages. Restaple it several times. Place it under your pillow while you sleep. Do everything you can to learn as much as you can from the datasheet, for thus is it done.

On p. 62 of the datasheet, it says the 8 stands for 0.8 micron process (minimum feature size on the chip), P is plastic DIP package and PL is surface-mount PLCC package, and -14 is the maximum clock speed in MHz.

If you have further questions that aren't in the datasheet, try emailing the apps people at the email address on the bottom of page 62. Or you can bother a distributor. If you sound like you're trying to place an order, they're usually more than willing to help. If you're not too familiar with electronics yet, just say you're a purchasing agent. Everyone knows they have all kinds of problems with the part numbers, and are usually willing to give the McGuffey's Primer over the phone. ;-)

Welcome to el Gran Liguas, Fyber. Part numbers on processors are a pain.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris