How do you design an op amp circuit?

This question is related to my question about AGC threshold amplifiers. But I feel that it is a topic of its own.

In general, if you were designing the threshold amplifier in the picture

, what would your thought process be?

I am familiar with basic circuit analysis techniques and op amp golden rules, but I'm still not able to come up with my own design. I especially get confuse when I see capacitors because I don't know if its there for filtering or as some sort of signal delay / charging mechanism or as some sort of compensation.

Reply to
MRW

MRW skrev:

I don't understand the question. The circuit is designed, do you want an analysis of the given circuit?

--
Hilsen Mikkel Lund
"Sund fornuft, har aldrig stoppet en tosse"

Hello Mikkel:

In general, if someone asked you to design a threshold amplifier, how would you go about designing it?

I just got curious because I do not have any design experience and was wondering how the experienced designer would handle it. I even got more curious because I was reading Jack Smith's Modern Communications Circuits book and he seems to approach it from a mathematical route where he derives the necessary equations that describe the general system block and then he designs a circuit to mimic the function of each system block. I wish they thought us this in school.

Reply to
MRW

In every design there is the 'hickup' in explaining to the technical people "what bothers you". Once clearly over this hump you devise hardware to solve this problem. Takes time to reach this stage. Keep learning. Your solutions will improve with experience and knowledge technical AND mathematical.

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

How did you arrive at the one in the link ?

I'm puzzled by R3, 4, 5, 6 btw. You could do the same thing with 2 resistors.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Sounds wacky to me.

Even if you're not using 'building blocks' from someone else's book, most design engineers have 101 standard circuits they can adapt to many situations.

Every once in a while you get a chance to be a bit more inventive but a heck of a lot is really quite routine.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

design

101 standard circuits? Where can I get a copy of these circuits.

I'm not there, yet. Eventually it'll be come a routine.

Thanks, Graham!

Reply to
MRW

design

(snip)

Here are some good basic opamp application notes from National Semi9conductor that you might study:

Application note list:

John Popelish

Thanks, John! I didn't have the first PDF, but I had the second PDF since last year. I also have some op amp collections from TI.

Reply to
MRW