How do I test my ac/dc adaptor?

Hi, My laptop isnt charging anymore. I thought before pulling apart the laptop to check the connection inside, I would test the adaptor. How do I test the continuity going through the adaptor? Does it need to be plugged in and then test voltage, or just continuity. I have a basic multi-meter. Thanks.

Reply to
squeeky_george

You could always put your Multimeter in Current Mode and put it in between the plus-line of the adaptor and the laptop. Make sure the Max-setting of your Multimeter is higher than the maximum output of the adaptor or else you blow-up the fuse.

If you have something that can withstand the maximum power output of the adapter (Resistor, Lightbulb anything) you could always hook that up. Measuring gets a bit easier that way.

Kind regards,

Peter

Reply to
Peter M. Groen

By all means check things out that you can.

Most Laptops that have this symptom have a problem with the charger connection on the motherboard.

These folks have helped me >Hi,

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell