homebrew computer - where to start?

There was a set of books based on the 8080A, and a single board computer that went along with them. You had to build the SBC, mine was wire wrapped, program the the startup prom, and supply power. Input was in octal, thru a keypad and output was thru leds that monitored the data and address busses. Then you could follow the lessons and interface the SBC to DACs, displays,

8259's etc. Along the way you would learn assembly language, digital electronics, and how to interface the two. Getting some of those old chips might be impossible.The 8080 might have been Intels first processor. I don't think it ever made it into a PC type of application but the 8085, 8086, 8088, 286 and so on, all got their start with the 8080.

The three books I have are all from Howard W Sams and Co The 8080A bugbook - microcomputer interfacing and programming. Experiments in digital electronics and microcomputer interfacing and programming book 1 and 2

Reply to
bg

I knew it was an acronym, but couldn't remember and couldn't be bothered to check what it was. I think it was one of those things where the words behind the acronym weren't as important as the acronym.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Computers, homebuilt from the ground up :-

Andrew Holme

I have just discovered PICAXES - they are easy to program, cheap to buy, and you can build lots of interesting projects with them. For a start have a look at

and then follow some of the links on that site

David - who is hav> hi,

Reply to
quietguy

Bingo! Having built 6802, 6809, and 68K style microprocessor systems, working with parts like Microchip PICs almost seems like cheating.

I think that crafting one own computers is definitely a worthy exercise.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

It's not so hard. FPGAs are wonderful devices. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

It seems to me that many of these small computers are roughly equivalent to todays microcontroller systems, but they give you a UART, ram, some other IO, and a processor all on one chip.

some of the older chips (like 6811) even have free monitors avalable , while some of the newer once only have pc-hosted cross compilers.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

To you and me, perhaps, but it seems to me that the OP is reaching for the moon in one step. Possibly better to follow the others' collective advice, and start with a ready-made simple CPU.

Reply to
Michael Gray

There is a smiley there, ya' know. That said, I'd ratehr encourage people in a positive direction, rather than saying "it's imposible for a moron like you". Even if he never builds a processor, just making it through the tools would put him ahead of half the engineers.

The OP wanted his OWN computer. DOn't tell him it's impossible to do. The other articles about building an 8080 (Altaid or MIPS) were far less usefull. Hell, if one wanted to build any "computer", a few hundred will buy one at Wallmart, or another hundred (plus a screwdriver) will get a better one from NewEgg. That *wasn't* the question though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

How about something like this:

Title: Build Your Own Microcomputer Based on the Intel 8088 Author: Walter Fuller ISBN: 0827370695

Reply to
WK2

;-) Cheers! Rich

Reply to