Hidden Tesla Technological System

Radiation to space and ground heating increase with frequency, so staying at a low frequency is good for long transmission lines. Also, the thin laminations needed for large power transformers probably make you want to stay with fewer, thicker laminations to keep a lid on the cost of them. I can't imagine how many thousands of layers you'd need for a megawatt-level transformer at hundreds of Hz.

Aircraft use 400 Hz and it drastically reduces the size of transformers and motors. IBM used 115 V 5 KHz power in the IBM 360 family as the transformers were TINY on a 100+ Amp power supply. Wish I could find some of those transformers now, I'd love to have the cores.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

In sci.physics.electromag Jon Elson wrote: (snip)

I know at least the big S/360's were powered by motor-generators. I always thought that was for transient surpression, but that would also allow for frequency conversion.

The higher frequency also allows for smaller filter capacitors in the power supply.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

...and an orderly shut-down on power fault. MG sets were around a lot longer than 360s, too.

Certainly. Later models (3080s) used phase-controlled regulators, which use SCRs as the pass elements from the three (400Hz) phases. Filter capacitor size was quite important. ;-)

Reply to
krw

A conventional X-ray tube with a target also works via bremsstrahlung, created when the fast-moving electrons collide with the metal target.

Actually, I don't think the phenomenon behind bremsstrahlung is limited to X-rays or deceleration of electrons. It should be created whenever a charge is accelerated in any way. I suspect it is the same ultimate mechanism behind synchrotron radiation, which arises from change-of-direction acceleration instead of change-of-speed. Perhaps some physicist in the group could enlighten us?

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v5.10 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever! (Some assembly required) Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

"Bob Masta" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Tesla Coil produced the radio waves. The electrons emitted from the end of the antenna produced X-rays when collide with a solid. In the collision place they collide with the atoms and electrons. They oscillate. The oscillating charged body radiate.

Each moving body disturbes the medium. But waves are produced only by oscillations.

All natural waves are produced by oscillations. The first electric waves were produced by oscillations in the dipole (Hertz dipole).

Now we can shield the one end of the dipole and radiate from monopole. Such waves are longitudinal. That from the two ends of the dipole are also longitudinal. But they are coupled in the one plane. So we can say that they are polarized.

Maxwell proposed the transversal waves to explain the light polarization. Waves from a dipole are also polarized but in different sense.

Stokes, Helmholtz, Kelvin and Tesla were the best. S*

Reply to
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Szczepan_Bia=B3

In sci.physics.electromag Bob Masta wrote: (snip)

If you argue it that way, then protons should emit synchrotron radiation at the same rate as electrons. From the wikipedia page Synchrotron_radiation, you find that there as a (special) relativistic term that is also needed. (But there are way too many complicated equations on that page.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v5.10 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever! (Some assembly required) Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

(snip)

Fertilizer. So-called monopole antennas have a *ground plane* (not a "shield") placed where the midpoint of a dipole would be; E-field lines from the antenna extend to the ground plane (until they go far- field, of course). The antenna behaves like a dipole (radiating perfectly ordinary transverse EM waves) with one element being a sort of virtual reflection in the ground plane of the real element:

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

The are heavier and so the same field will not accelerate/decelerate them at the same rate. However, at the same speed (but not the same energy) and radius of curvature of the synchrotron they should radiate identically.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

(snip)

Ordinary transverse EM waves are a myth - said Tesla.

" If multiple monopole antennas are used in order to control the direction of Radio Frequency (RF) propagation, they are called directional antenna arrays."

The dipoles are the "multiple monopole antennas" and are always used to "control the direction of Radio Frequency (RF) propagation"

The ground plane (120 radials) is a chassis. The top of antenna expels of electrons and the chassis is a reservoir of them. The monopole does not behave like a dipole.

The Royal Society rejected the Maxwell's hipothesis. Heaviside renewed it. Who was better - Heaviside or Tesla? S*

Reply to
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Szczepan_Bia=B3

"Bob Masta" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

"stopping in matter" is not precise. Electrons must oscillate before stopping. The oscillations are the only source of radiation. S*

Reply to
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Szczepan_Bia=B3

Could you expand on this? What kind of generator? Are you connecting the generator to a load when closing the switch? Is the discharge across the switch gap when it is small? This could simply be due to a high field due to the generator voltage across the gap,causing an arc. It could also be due to discharge of capacitance in the generator. Being several times higher than the generator voltage suggests some resonance.

Can you tap this energy? In theory you could have a perfect switch so the load would get it but it is really quite negligible and not worth the effort. In any case, it is not "free" but comes from energy put into the generator in the first place. So, the answer is NO.

In high voltage DC generators an electrostatic discharge happens at the instant of switch closer which if not insulated or grounded properly can cause death or serious injury. These discharges are several times the magnitude of the voltage the generator can supply. My question is what causes this to occur and where is this "excess" or increased power coming from? Could we continually generate such an instance and somehow tap this energy? Does this mean that under certain conditions in the systems used today we have access to even greater amounts of energy then we presently utilize?

Reply to
Don Kelly

Acceleration, including decelleration, including change of direction without change of magnitude of velocity, is sufficient for charged particles to produce "bremsstrahlung radiation".

Particles being decellerated sometimes do not oascillate - consider "critical damping"and "overdamping". However, forcing a change of vector velocity of a charged particle is often sufficient to achieve energy conversion from kinetic energy to electromagnetic radiation.

No "oscillation" is necessary here.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

From the Hertz dipole to Free electron laser electrons oscillate. So we can assume that the radiation is result of the oscillations.

Radiation in form of coherent waves must be caused by oscillations.

May be that to do soliton.

Oscillations in the Hertz dipole are the simplest to analyse.

In Heaviside theory the oscillating current create the oscillating magnetic whirl. Such oscillations are transversal.

In Tesla's the voltage which is doubled at the ends of the dipole create the alternate electric fields. Such alternations are longitudinal. The directional patern of the dipole is the result of interference of waves from the two ends.

Who do you prefer? Heaviside or Tesla? S*

Reply to
Szczepan Bialek

Agreed, and I suspect (but don't have the math skills to back it up) that it is the *acceleration* aspect of the oscillation in "normal" (say, transmitter antenna) RF that is responsible for the EM waves.

Since we know that acceleration of charge causes EM waves, and we know that a sinusoidal antenna current has a (co)sinusoidal acceleration of the bazillions of electrons in the antrenna, then we assume that this constant-frequency acceleration must result in EM waves. It seems unlikely that this is a separate mechanism from "normal" antenna operation (or we would have to account for it separately, which I've never heard of), so my guess is that it is the one and only mechanism.

But even if I had the math to show they are equivalent, I'm not sure what good it would be... just an interesting way of looking at things!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v5.10 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever! (Some assembly required) Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

"Bob Masta" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

In "normal" (Hertz) dipole are the two places where the bazillions of electrons accelerate/decelerate. The two ends.There are the two sources of electric waves.

There are the two theories. EM waves in form of rotational oscillations and longitudinal electric waves. The Hertz dipole is as one source of EM or as the two sources of electric waves.

Look what S. Errede wrote about Ampere (1825):

" It is infortunate that electrodynamics and relativity decide in favor of Biot and Savart rather than for the much more sophisticated Ampere..."

So the magnetic whirl and the trnsverse waves are for kids. For us should be the electric waves.

Best Regards, S*

Reply to
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Szczepan_Bia=B3

mo=C2=B6c>

t a

Yes, I know. I don't think he was right about that, though.

I don't recognize the quote. Source?

I disagree with the statement that dipoles are "multiple monopoles".

You are asserting that a monopole antenna is an electron gun?

Yet it is observed to radiate like one; dipole antennas in its far field receive dipole waves. In what way do you assert that it does not behave like a dipole?

.

"Better" by what criteria?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

I don't recognize the quote. Source?

Your link. The whole paragraf: " When used for radio broadcasting, the radio frequency power from the broadcasting transmitter is fed across the base insulator between the tower and a ground system. The ideal ground system for AM broadcasters comprises at least 120 buried copper or phosphor bronze radial wires at least one-quarter wavelength long and a ground-screen in the immediate vicinity of the tower. All the ground system components are bonded together, usually by welding, brazing or using coin silver solder to help reduce corrosion. Monopole antennas that use guy-wires for support are called masts in some countries. In the United States, the term ?mast? is generally used to describe a pipe supporting a smaller antenna, so both self-supporting and guy-wire supported radio antennas are simply called monopoles if they stand alone. If multiple monopole antennas are used in order to control the direction of Radio Frequency (RF) propagation, they are called directional antenna arrays."

Phaze radars have more monopoles. If we want to control the direction of Radio Frequency (RF) propagation we must use a dipole at least.

Tesla did the first electron gun: ""In April 1887, Tesla began investigating what would later be called X-rays using his own single terminal vacuum tubes (similar to his patent #514,170). This device differed from other early X-ray tubes in that it had no target electrode. The modern term for the phenomenon produced by this device is bremsstrahlung (or braking radiation). We now know that this device operated by emitting electrons from the single electrode through a combination of field electron emission and thermionic emission. Once liberated, electrons are strongly repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during negative voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil, generating X rays as they collide with the glass envelope."

If Tesla coil is a monopole antena than it is a electron gun: "Once liberated, electrons are strongly repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during negative voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil,"

It is not a phase radar. The dipole is.

Who is right in view on todays facts? In Heaviside the electric current is like an incompressible massles fluid. Tesla use the electrons. S*

Reply to
=?UTF-8?Q?Szczepan_Bia=C5=82ek

g...

Toward

for farther/wider than 350 miles.

Are there [cheap] diael=C3=A8ctric wires with lossleas wavelength gaps, where X=E2=86=920?

I couldn't find much here:

tance

thin -> shallow large :=3D broad -> great thicker -> deeper

-Aut

Autymn D. C.

and

Post on nesci.physics.* instead: