- Help Pls - Ripple Tank

Could anyone please give me an idea on how to build a motor that can generate water waves for a ripple tank apparatus?

I would like to know what parts would I need and power rating to drive the motor.

Pls make it as simple as possible as I am a true beginner to this kind of stuff, so any helpful info you people can provide for me is truly appreciated.

Thank you.

:?:

Reply to
jsdmnd

What do you know about ripple tanks so far? Whenever you come up with a mechanical way of making the waves, you could even use something like a windshield wiper motor, with an adjustable crank for how far you want the thing to slosh. That's just off the top of my head, but to get extra credit on this project, figure out how many joules per second it takes to move the amount of water you want to move the distance you want to move it, and translate joules per second to watts, and 746 watts ~= 1 horsepower. (is approximately equal to).

Multiply that by some factor, typically from about 1.2x to 2.5x, depending on what kind of losses you need to account for, how much reserve you want, and that sort of thing.

But off the top of my head, if your tank is significantly bigger than a pie tin, it's going to take a fairly substantial motor, which is why windshield wiper motor sprang to mind - it already has the back-and-forth action you'd probably want, and it runs off 12VDC, so you have one less safety hazard to contend with.

And you can probably get one for a buck or two at the auto salvage yard. ;-)

Good Luck, and Report Back! :-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ah! Then in that case, one could use a clock motor, or a little solenoid, maybe adapt a relay to just kinda dab the surface. In either case, the mechanical parts are going to be the most interesting. :-)

Depends on what he wants from his tank.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

drive

kind

like

Is he talking "ripple tank" or "wave tank". In a ripple tank you just make ripples and see how they travel, reflect and interfer. A wave tank is a whole different animal, that requires the power you're refering to.

Reply to
Ken Moffett