Generate frequency on speakers

I have a cheap speaker and a battery. What can I use to create a steady tone, of let's say, 2500 Hz? Is there some kind of chip I can use?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey

You might do a Google search for [code practice oscillator schematic] for things like this:

John Popelish

Many many kinds.

It requires more than 'just a chip' though.

Seems to me like the art of electronics design is being lost to those who think there's a 'chip' that will do everything/anything and doesn't need to have some circuitry designed around it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

1 hex inverter, 1 transistor? 2 xstrs ?, some caps and resistors. The inverter & caps makes up an oscillator, the transistors amp up the hex inverter output to the speaker.

try a 555 oscillator to the speaker. try an opamp to the speaker. look up multivibrator for 2.5 kHz.

Reply to
newtype

A minimum part solution (ie none) is to connect one lead of the battery to a speaker terminal and the other battery lead to just touch the other speaker pigtail wire. Gives an awfully loud square wave at about 1kHz. Bit like tweeking a cats whisker.

Reply to
john jardine

I am wondering is if there is a chip, of some sort, that will produce a specific sound through the speakers, not some random noise.

Reply to
Jeffrey

In a similar way, you can use a battery, a speaker and a relay switch. When the relay is powered, it opens the circuit. This should make a pretty nasty buzz.

James. :o)

speaker

Reply to
James Lehman

Yes, there are lots of them.

And what makes you think that making a buzz by having the speaker interrupt its own voice coil current would be "random"? ;-)

Thnask, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

OK, buy one of those greeting cards with the little doohickey that plays Jingle Bells.

to a

speaker

Reply to
James Lehman

that seems to be a trend in any of the high-technology fields, about 10-15 % with low level knowledge and design understanding where the other 85-90 % are component users/tinkerers/builders.

Reply to
Rob B

We used a pnp and a npn in a astable flipflop (advantage,both tansistors open/closed at the same time.) running on a 4.5 flat battery,and a small speaker as collecror resistor in one side. the other side had the timer resitor and the plus battey connected to 2 test leads. Makes a very nice audio resitance/voltage tester. No on/off switch,battery stayed alive for about 4 years. With the testleads open, both transitors remained closed,so only leaking current.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry