Home made PCBs

I have used a straightedge and a tool that is used to scribe and cut plastic laminate and linoleum...it has a carbide cutter on a steel blade and after lining up the straightedge I give the cutter a few pulls to make a groove...then remove the straightedge and keep pulling the cutter thru...turning the board around every few strokes to make it even.

This produces a clean but beveled edge which I flatten up by rubbing the cut edge on a file.

scroll down page to see one

cornytheclown

What's the best way to make little ones from big ones? I would like a method that takes a small kerf and produces a straight line. For one-at-a-time boards. One that a klutz can handle. TIA Charlie

Reply to
Charles Jean

Sorry mate. I don't understand your line of banter.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I use aviation style tin snips, the kind with the compound action. Use the straight cut.

JazzMan

--

********************************************************** Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net. Curse those darned bulk e-mailers! ********************************************************** "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry **********************************************************
Reply to

I score both sides, with a screwdriver, then stick it in a vice and snap it off.

--
I\'ll tell you what war is about.  You\'ve got to kill people, and when you\'ve
killed enough, they stop fighting.

Best? Dunno. Easiest? A paper trimmer. Item # 818674 at

ehsjr

the "best way" is to start with them the right size,

assuming a typical garage/basement workshop...

use a steel ruler and a sharp knife (box cutter etc)

mark the ends of the cut with notches or holes

clamp the ruler to the PCB (use a vice, g-clamps, Vice-grips(tm) etc) and make several passes with the knife,

repeat on the other side.

repuat until cut all the way though or go about 1/4 way and snap it off.

smooth the edge on a file or other abrasive surface,

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I once, very long ago, in a galaxy far away, made a 6-up of a 2.5"dia. round circuit, double-sided, on .031 fiberglass. (copper clad, both sides, I etched it in FeCl3, drilled it with a little Dremel drill press, and fudged on the vias).

I don't remember exactly what tool I used to trim them to size, but just that fact that I don't remember indicates to me that it must have been trivially easy. Like, Mom's sewing shears or something.

But this was .031" stock - I guess for .062, if I was really persnickety, I'd press a die grinder into service as a little router.

Getting them apart in the first place, well, I'd say, shear them, score and snap them, saw cut them, whatever works. It's pretty much a matter of taste and getting your hands dirty. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk