GE Halogen 120v 100bt/sw/cd--Safe?

I just bought a long liFe 100W GE halogen bulb. It has a base like a conventional bulb for household use. I plan to use it in an overhead fixture that has a fairly large globe and one socket. My wife (typically in these situations) complains that it is not safe. Apparently, she bought something like it years ago, and has some memory that it burned very hot. I have my doubts. I'll call GE tomorrow, but I thought I'd get an opinion here. My gut feeling is that in the intervening years that they are now safer than say

5-10 years ago.

It's a white frosted bult about 4-5" round, 2" in dia., and looks sort of like a pudgy doll.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

--
                     "I often quote myself - it adds spice to
                      my conversation." - George Bernard Shaw

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

I can't comment on the bulbs since I have zero experience concerning them.

I do have a question:

Isn't that going to be uncomfortably bright? Halogens are usually way brighter than normal incadescents. ( I am using as a reference the Halogens used in car headlight as a basis for my assumption. Correct me if I am wrong).

Let us know what GE says about this 'cause I am curious now.

Lacy

Interestingly, in the case of an e-mail I sent them, they actually got into a little physics. Temperature, heat, BTUs, and their measurement. They concluded that ultimately the safety depended upon the fixture. I would need to contact them. They pointed me to

but would welcome any further questions. While waiting for an e-mail response, I contacted them by phone in Ohio. The technician was only able to quote some written material she had, which to my way of thinking did not show any unusual safety concern. I would have hoped that she might have said something like these are the new halogen fixtures which are designed to work in the place of common incadescents. She didn't though, nor did the e-mail.

I put the light in after the phone conversation and it's been happily providing light to the den quite regularly since then. I felt the globe and it shows no abonormal amount of heat build up or high temperatures. The globe is about the size of 1/2 a human head and has one socket. I think the enclosure provides enough space not to be worried about safety--in my instance.

I'll cruise around and see what else I might find out about these new (in my view) halogens used for normal home light sockets.

Reply to
W. Watson

It's wise to use ceramic bases for halogen bulbs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If it's in an overhead fixture, I wouldn't go past the rated wattage of the fixture, but other than that, there should be no problem. Halogens burn hot, yes, but a globe that big - it sounds like a little halogen bulb inside a big frosted globe; do you know anything about their construction?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Screw-in halogen bulbs produce only slightly more light than "standard" incandescents (750-1,000 hours life expectancy).

They also reach similar temperatures. One difference is that they could cool more slowly due to thicker glass outer bulb - example Sylvania's "Capsylite" which I am more familiar with.

These things are interchangeable with regular lightbulbs of same wattage, except they may have malfunction of the halogen cycle if dimmed more than slightly and have only minor life extension from dimming even when the halogen cycle works.

Don Klipstein

Sure sounds like something like Philips "Halogena" and Sylvania "Capsylite". Those have a halogen "capsule" surrounded by an outer bulb.

Heat output should be about the same as non-halogen incandescent of the same wattage.

Don Klipstein